My build update

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by cddbrowns, Mar 11, 2011.

1. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

So, this is what I have so far.

[​IMG]

I have a 16" one of these coming, Yankee Hill.

[​IMG]

I just ordered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

And

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am currently waiting on stock to go back up for these so I can order

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

And....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is without the sights too so that is later. Seeing all that together in your head, what do you think? The safety is now SS as well, like the rest of the accessories...

4. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

Well done. It is a blast to put one of these together and then take it out and hit paper with it. A real sense of pride.

The real pisser to the whole process is that a bunch of other prideful dudes are doing the same thing but got to the parts bin before you. BACKORDER!!!!!I feel your pain brother!

Hurry Up and Wait!!!!!

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Looks like this is going to turn out real nice! Great pictures, too...

6. indyfan

indyfan New Member

very nice, can't wait to see it completed

7. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Sweet,, I thing you will be happy with the YHM barrel.. I love the look of the fluting.. I also really like the color combo you have going :D

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Damn! You got some upscale, SERIOUSLY hardware coming for that beauty!!

I, for one, will be quite interested in the finished product and the resulting Range Report.

Excellent choices. PLEASE keep us posted!

JD

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I'll second what JD said, you're not throwing to gether a beater, that's for sure!!

Great pics, I can't wait to see it in operation!! :D

10. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Thanks all!

One thing I forgot, I already have one of these.

[​IMG]

Getting these sights.

[​IMG]

And not going too high tech with the red dot sight, going with this.

[​IMG]

I cant wait to be fully completed with it.....I will definitely share!

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

What brand BCG is that? Is the chrome more durable, easier to keep clean?

12. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

DPMS and absolutely. SO much easier to clean than the normal blued version. Operation is much smoother as well. I would go with the Titanium Nitride coated but I think the chrome, although not as tough, matches better with the entire setup.

If you have the money though, the Titanium Nitride can withstand a hammer and chisel.

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

A little heads up on the Magpul PTS version, they are not the same. They are licensed through Magpul but not made in a Magpul factory. They are basically Chinese knock-offs but w/ the thumbs up from Magpul. Anyway they just started shipping the Gen2 MBUS sights.

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Of course, there is also the option of an ultrasonic cleaning tank. At the point you have the ability to come home and through the whole BCG into a tank, whether it's chrome plated or not is not really relevant. :cool:

JD

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

cddbrowns, since you haven't bought it yet I feel compelled to say that the DPMS BCG is far and away the worst part in your build. If you're going to pay extra to upgrade the BCG that money is much better spent on BCM, Daniel Defense or LMT. The chrome plating is just bling that covers the internal flaws of that bolt group.

Anyway don't take my word for it, a little research will be enlightening. Not trying to wreck your build, just make it a better rifle.

The old stock car builder's guide applies here, "Chrome don't get you home."

16. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

I am going with the Gen 2, those were just the pics I could find in a hurry as I was looking at the super secret forum for us paying members and drinking enough water so as not to have a huge hang over in the morning.....LOL!

Really? DPMS has been great for a buddy of mine, I really liked the "bling" it brought to the rifle with it being chrome and all, but I definitely want to keep this thing tip top. Thanks for the heads up!

17. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

:)
    So is the consensus here that a chrome BCG is no better than a quality blued one? Are there advantages/disadvantages to chrome? Sorry CD, don't mean to hijack your thread.:)

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Ill second that. For the money Id go w/ one of the 3 BCGs Quentin mentioned.

19. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Its all good, I am learning with this too! LOL! Bravo!