my beretta M9A1

Discussion in 'Beretta Forum' started by JonM, Jan 8, 2013.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

i want to be first!!

[​IMG]

i need a new camera. its starting to take fuzzy pics. cant even do good vids anymore withit.

anyway i broke down and got another one. this is third or fourth go round with one.

ill have some cool pics tomorrow when the threaded barrels show up. ill take pics of mine and the wife's side by side

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

#2 checkin in...

Attached Files:

3. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

Hey hey! I got a subforum created?! cool! I was just joking around! Now I hope I don't make a fool of myself and find out that there's only like 4 Beretta owners on here, thus the reason why there hasn't been a sub forum created yet!

All my Beretta's are full frame 92/96 series weapons:

92FS made in 1994 this was the first weapon I ever bought, I picked it up used at my LGS. I'm pretty sure it was a police trade in, although it was about 8 years old it was still in great shape. no holster wear, so it didn't get a lot of use. --Till I got it:D I've probably put 10,000 rounds through it and 8k of that was probably in the first 3 years:eek:

96G Brigadier Elite II my 2nd Beretta acquisition, Bought new and I used it in competition. I added night sights and now use it as my carry weapon. I have a modified 11-round mag so I can carry 12+1 of .40S&W, and when I'm going to shady places...an extra mag with another 12 rounds.

M9 I just bought this last week. I've always wanted one simply because of the markings. seems like a silly reason to want to buy a $600 weapon, but it is what it is! being that it's what I carried while deployed, it carries a tad more sentimental value to me than a standard "92FS" I'd love to have an AR that was marked as M4 as well, but well...yea....not gonna happen haha!

[​IMG]

(pic is kinda grainey, light was a little lower than I wanted, but it was only way to avoid glare from overhead lights while using my phone to take the picture. I'll have to get the real camera out later)

4. Datalore

Datalore New Member

Beautiful group!!!

5. gdool

gdool New Member

Nice guns. I've got a px4 in .40 that is my favorite. Planning to buy another Beretta soon. Even looking at some Beretta shotguns

image-1187582804.jpg

6. mikemcn

mikemcn New Member

My 96, also my first pistol, picked up a "G" model upper a while back but still have the "F" top end too, love it, also have a PX4 in .40 cal and a NEOS .22, great little plinker and even more fun since I got the carbine kit for it!

Attached Files:

7. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

Here are just a couple of mine..... Ok, I'm a Beretta freak, I can't pass one up!

[​IMG]

8. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

What a really nice collection. The one on the right (middle) is gorgeous...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  9. gdool

gdool New Member

I have a PX4 and its my fav and only Beretta. What would you buy next with $1000 to spend?

10. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

What is the difference between the 92 and the m9?

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

main differences:

m9a1 has: rail, square trigger guard, 3 dot white sights, beveled magwell, front and back grip frame checkering, two pvd coated mags.

12. XsV

XsV New Member

Well it used to be that the 92FS was manufactured in Italy and the M9 was made in the USA per request from the military (because of their contract with beretta). But because of closed plants and changes in manufacturing requirements some parts are made in Italy and then just assembled here.

There was a lot of fuss and confusion regarding the Beretta plant in Brazil (which is now owned by Taurus) so post Vietnam war is all mixed up really.

Long story short, M9 is US and 92 is Italian, but it's the exact same gun. The A1 variants of either one include what the gentleman above me stated. But the M9A1 has some shortcuts that the 92 doesn't have, such as the plastic guide rod. All in all they are all the same. But don't let a Taurus fan tell you his is also the same... :D

13. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

I don't know that there IS any difference between a 92FS and the M9

my 92FS was made in the US, and according to Beretta was made back in 1994. it's got all the same things that the M9 has, except it has 3-dot sights. but there's no warning on the frame to read the owners manual so you don't shoot yourself, the dust cover on the bottom is straight, etc.

and the plastic guide rod is a "design feature" not a cost savings. the older guns with a steel guide rod would apparently jam if it got dirty, or even fail to operate completely if it became bent. the new plastic rods have grooves to "collect" dirt and still allow it to operate. and the plastic is flexible so instead of bending, it will 'bounce back' to the proper shape and continue operating.

and it's not just the M9 that has the plastic rods, I bought a 96G Elite II back in 03, and it had a plastic guide rod when I bought it, and all the newer 92s that I've seen have had the plastic rods too.

so...I believe the only REAL difference in a 92 and an M9 is that one is marked as "92FS" and the other is marked as "M9"

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

The plastic guide rods are better than the steel ones. They dont snap under use and wont keep a slight bend and bind up the gun. Im not a huge fan of steel or aluminum guid rods as it doesnt take much to bend one and start causing all sorts of malfuctions.

15. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

Thanks, that is an older 92FS I picked up used. It has no warnings and a straight dust cover. I think it dates to 1994. I recently added a rail and a Burris Fastfire optic site and it has become a really fun shooter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

Thats hard to say. There are a couple of Beretta's that are rare and going for a lot more than $1,000. The Billenium for example will run about $2,500.

For $1,000 I think I would add the 92FS Inox Compact, or a bit easier to find, the 92A1 Compact. They are really nice and a bit easier to conceal. They are running in the high $700 range and that would leave us some money for range ammo;)

17. austin92

austin92 New Member

Where's that threaded barrel? :)

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

my camera is broke :(

it wont take anything but fuzzy pics. too many range trips in the bottom of the range bag. pics will be forthcoming when i get a new one.

19. Kumachan

Kumachan New Member

my question to the M9A1 owners out there is... Did you pick up more of the PVD magazines or are you using others like Mec-Gar.

Plus is it me or are there limited places to purchase extra PVD magazines. I understand since the current political climate it has been very difficult to find any mags let alone PVD versions. But it seems that there is only a handful on the internet actually offering the PVD mag.