My ballistol looks like diarrhea

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Gh0zt36, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Is this normal ? I usually use my outers no9 gun oil but at the moment it is packed away so I went for my trusty ol can of ballistol i've used maybe once before?

I open the can and it looks like used motor oil and theres brown sludge built up just below the pour spout . I shook it up and it took most of the sludge away but holy goodness it looks like runny poop.

Is this what ballistol is supposed to look like?

2. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

he said "diarrhea" :)

3. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

No it should only smell like it not look like it! :p

4. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Hey be carful using it on and gold plated parts or nickel plated guns it will mess them up

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

That is a sever case of Balistolitis, real bad highly contagious. Wash your hands put on some Depends. :eek:

6. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Yes shake it up . I use the aerosol spray on all my guns .

7. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

So it's ok then ? I shook it up and used it . I just didn't know if it was possible for it to go bad or ? It just wasnt looking right .

8. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

It's ok . There are no stupid questions .

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

9. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Ok, I'll confess, I never knew anything about Ballistol. I went to their site at http://www.ballistol.com/about-us/

Although it sounds like I could eat it, since it is so safe, it no longer sounds palatable after reading this thread.

So tell, me is it all that they say it is?. Guns, Wood, Leather, Plants, Steaks!

10. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Yes is that good . And it has a sweet smell to it too.
    But like I said earlier it will eat away at copper, powder residue, Brass , gold inlay and nickel plate.

11. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Did you just buy the Ballistol new or did you acquire it in another way? If bought, take it back to the seller and demand your money back or credit or a new can of Ballistol. I have used Ballistol only for the past 10 -12 years and I would not trust what you have.

Ballistol should be clear, slightly viscous and smell just a little weird.

12. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

Just pick out the peanuts and should be good to use.:D

13. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Oh sure, now what to think!

You see, I don't mind when they spread manure on the 10 acres next to me. . . Reminds me of a fresh can of Copenhagen. . m m m m MMMM.

14. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I bought it new from a gun shop and its not the spray one it has a pour spout with some brown sludge crap on the pour spout inside.

I don't think they'd take it back as its a couple years old . That's why I was wondering if it could go bad.

I just cleaned the bolt and receiver on the Savage MKII I just picked up .

15. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

While I'm not real familiar with Ballistol, I do know the main ingredient is mineral oil. I doubt seriously it will harm nickel or gold plating. Can you provide proof that it does, or is this just Interner rumor?

16. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Here you go

Ballistol Education And Warning - YouTube
    Nov 9, 2011 ... Ballistol Education And Warning...pertains also to Hoppes solvent and all other metal dissolving solvents. Look here: ...
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-cpOgvbfw[/ame]

17. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

That video is not proof. It's some guy who doesn't know what he's talking about. His gun doesn't have "gold leaf" on it. It is either electroplated or gold inlaid. Regardless, Ballistol or any other solvent will not harm or dissolve gold. The only thing that dissolves gold is an acid mixture called "Aqua Regia."
    Also, manufacturers don't use a copper underplate on nickeled firearms. Some of the bumper chrome shop plating jobs use copper, but gun makers don't. All that guy is doing is spouting old wive's tales. He's not educating anyone. He's so full of himself (and something else) that I couldn't finish the video.
    I can say this with some authority-as I nickel and gold plate gun parts.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  18. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I made a mistake on one post I said it will mess them up. On another post I said it will eat it away I made the mistake.

19. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Either way- it won't "mess them up, " or eat it away.
    The only thing gold plating is susceptible to is wear. And Hoppe's is fine on factory plated guns, used as directed, as is Ballistol.
    That opinionated "laboratory chemist" doesn't bother to tell us what chemicals in those products "eat metal." Hoppe's contains a small amount of ammonia to remove copper fouling.
    I think it's funny that the self-styled "expert" actually makes himself look like an idiot in that video.

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Gold Cyanidation metallurgy or the Forest-MacArthur Process has been used for low grade gold ore extraction since 1887. Oxygen Cyanide is treated with 2 other Cyanides to lower toxic levels. This releases gold from the sand. :)