Firearms Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Supporting Member
11,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some were asking me about my present Avatar picture here on the FTF. I will probably change it again some time soon. But it has an Historic purpose.
For those that might be interested in Civil War History. This Tombstone Stone is on my 1/2 mile lane coming back to our home. It is the tombstone of John Daugherty 4th Tennessee Calvary. The flag was put there two months ago by the Daughters of the Confederacy as they did throughout the area to the known grave sights. There were several battles here close. I found the tombstone several years ago and started going up there and mowing around it out of respect for a soldier. I am originally from the North but had family in the past that were on both sides of the war. At the present the other two neighbors that I have here in the 100 acres also mow it. There are supposedly 10 other soldiers buried up there around the tree but have no tombstones. I have done a study on Daugherty and have a three ring binder of his unit, his unit members, who he was married to and where he was born. I have a good friend who is a reenactor has a masters degree in history and has recently wrote an book and had signings for his book Indiana Civil War History! By John Etter. I have as of late became very interested in Civil War History and went to Fredericksburg VA. a couple of moths ago and walked the battlegrounds and took some tours. Fantastic! I have the series on Gettysburg and will be going there next year. Of course in Tennessee we have several battlegrounds Tullahoma and others. Just thought I would share this with you since I am sure there is someone on the FTF that is interested as well! God Bless our Soldiers and fallen Soldiers from all our wars! They all did their best to make America what it is!
Hopefully we can start to preserve it and their efforts in November!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Sniper, if you really want a different view of Gettysburg you need to take the horse back tour of the battlefield. Linda and I did that a couple of years ago and you can't believe how different those few feet can have on your perspective.

My Great Grandfather fought for all four years of the war with Company B of the 15th Alabama and made three assaults up Little Round top against Chamberlins 20t Maine.

He wrote a book call "Some events and incidents of the Civil War" that is a great read. My Grandfather was a private for most of the war but was a Color Sergent at the end. His name was William C. Jordan. And if you did not know it a Color Sergent carried the units colors into battle and was shot at most.

Scubie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts