My "assault" rifle.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Rancid, Oct 13, 2020.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a Marlin 44 mag a long time ago the did the double feed to me. Cost me a deer. The 357 has not had any problems aside from not liking 140 grain. Does OK with 158 and 125. I have several 357 mag revolvers and an H&R Handi in 357 that is threaded for a suppressor.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Ten years ago, I was aware of a couple of gunsmith shops that had a new carrier assembly that was claimed to correct the problem. Can't seem to find reference of either of them, in old docs I've retained.

If ever Marlin resurrects their 1894P or 1894CP platforms, hopefully they'll effectively correct the problem. Perhaps with Sturm-Ruger's guidance, they'll finally realize what a gem they had and make it part of their permanent line ... corrected, of course.

Ghost1958 likes this.

3. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

If a feeding problem is going to show up, it will show up in under 500 rounds. I didn't say how many hundreds of rounds, but at least closer to 1,000 than 100 and maybe more than 1,000.

4. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I once read an article in a magazine about the Marlin Double-feed Jam. Sounded like a well known problem.
    Fix involved radiusing an action part (disremember which one), before it wore a sharper notch in it.

5. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

The fix involves giving the cam on the lever a slight radius to prevent wearing the carrier which eventually will sag enough from wear to allow the double feed. Typically takes considerable shooting and cycling of the action before this problem actually shows...

Mercator likes this.
  6. Blackfeather666

Blackfeather666 New Member

I guess I'll join in 20201021_180638.jpg
    Top is marlin 336 in 35rem
    Bottom is Winchester ranger in 30-30

primer1 and Rifling82 like this.
  7. Rancid

The 35 Remington packs a punch. :)

Rifling82 and Blackfeather666 like this.
  8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Good friend has a decent sized organic farm in Minnesota. To equip his place, he bought 6 Marlin 336's in 30-30. His reasoning? Commonality of ammo and spare parts, adequate for anything he needed, and except for single shot rifles, probably the last that a gun grabber would go for.

Ghost1958, Pasquanel and Rifling82 like this.
  9. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Come on guy don't be a jerk, he's showing you his home defense weapon and it's certainly adequate against most home invasions. So how about a little less snarkiest?

Ghost1958 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  10. Rancid

It isn't for home defense. I am not about to cut loose with a .44 mag rifle in my home ... I don't like patching walls, buying new TV sets or furniture ... or penetrating walls and offing a neighbor. I wouldn't use an AR in my home either. I called it my "assault" rifle and that's what it is for ... civil war or the like. Against a mob or defending against a mob ... good for easy head shots @ 100 yards ... quick-firing ... ability to keep it topped off easily. I do not need a semi-auto, if I am undergoing a bumb-rush it will be my 1911 I depend on, not a rile.

But thank you for the ant-snark sentiment. I have put somewhere around 1,000 rounds through it and am sure of its reliability ... 44 mag is expensive, and if "Mr. Snark" would like to pony up the money I'll be happy to run as much ammo as "his snarkiness" deems sufficient to prove reliability to his liking.

But I recently put together a tactical 20" 12 gauge pump with a folding pistol-grip stock and shell holders for an additional 10 rounds and a lazer and fiber optic bead and a 15-round bandoleer / sling that I will most likely grab first. Most definitely good BLM/Antifa medicine.
    AA TACTICAL SHOTGUN 04.JPG
    AA TACTICAL SHOTGUN 01.JPG

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Ghost1958 likes this.
  11. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Uffda, you are a contrarian! And TLMrs calls ME a knucklehead.
    I'm glad you're ignoring me, I guess I should quit paying attention to you.
    Alas, I can't ignore the wallpaper.

Trunk Monkey likes this.
  12. AgedWarrior

Ya know as I am looking at the OP rifle I have to admit, I like it! But looking at the pics a couple things stood out to me. First, how does he keep that load gate looking so pristine? I take good care of my 1894, but it has spent some days in the woods and mountains and been loaded who knows how many times, and the load gate shows it...
    Second, what is happening to the bolt/receiver along the upper edge? Is that just excess lube? Looks like something else, but the pic will not enlarge enough for me.
    Anyhoo, I was just pondering the pics and I know the OP already has me on ignore, but I was wondering what others might think and maybe the OP will chime in too. :)

13. AgedWarrior

As a follow on to this, here are a couple of pics to illustrate how to minimize the notorious Marlin 1894 double feed from happening. 42634496-B00D-41C1-AFB2-43047170A75A.jpeg
    The edge of the cam that is pointed at with the pick tends to be sorta sharp, and after a fashion begins to wear on the carrier.
    F5301D45-FA42-4FB0-9901-E1B9F2017907.jpeg
    I used a Dremel with a cotton tip as shown to take the sharpness off the edge. It is important to not take off a lot of material putting a big radius, but simply round the edge slightly.
    B51F26D4-3618-4955-9FEA-0C1842C2921A.jpeg
    When reassembling the rifle always put some good grease on the internal portion of the lever, especially on that cam. This is the grease I use because it does not dry up or freeze up, but obviously use the grease that you prefer.
    I have no idea how many rounds have been through my rifle, but examining the carrier reveals no real wear at all, and it has never had the notorious Marlin double feed jam.
    Over the years there have been other means suggested fixes for this same issue, but to my knowledge they are all costly or much more work or both. This works, just be careful to not take off a lot of material.

freefall, Rifling82 and primer1 like this.