My AR Build...the beginning.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by SeanCucf, Nov 19, 2010.

1. SeanCucf

SeanCucf New Member

I've been wanting to start an AR build for quite some time now. That time presented itself today. I stopped by a local store to see about gettng a barrel for my 12ga 11-87, but while I was there I did the customary stroll along the case and came upon a stripped CMMG lower for $120...sold. I know you can find them a little "cheaper" online, but after shipping and transfer fee this one was just a wash(especially with what local stores charge to transfer).

My plan is a flatop upper. I'd like a nice 2stage trigger if I can find a resonably priced one. Then some optics. Keep it relatively simple. (riiiight)

Typical stripped lower...(crap iPhone pic)
    [​IMG]

I'll build it as funds become available....

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Just completed my own...best of luck. The knowledge gained and satisfaction felt in building your own is priceless.

Are you building or buying the upper? Give some details on your planned dream gun, lots of folks will be interested.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If you need a stripped upper, let me know.

4. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

How much you want for that stripped upper Spitty? That just may be the beginning of another AR in a bigger caliber than .223 for me. If I have it sitting, then I want to build. Motivation.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Welcome to the club! We have a lot of good members here who have done the same thing & we will be following your posts with much eagerness to see the finished product. :D

JD

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

This thread sure caught my eye. Any question that comes up can be be easily and quickly answered by the crew here.

I'm most interested to hear about your plans for that upper. Seems like many people in the same boat have bought a complete upper and just built the lower from parts. But I'm sure the experience of building the upper from parts would be invaluable!

Best of luck!

7. russ

russ New Member

After doing this a couple times (build lower, buy upper), I'm ready to tackle building the whole darned thing on my next project. However, I think the AR10 bug will bite first so the complete AR15 build may have to wait a little while.

Keep us in the loop Sean, there are plenty of us here that have built lots of different configurations of AR's, so someone here can answer just about any question you could think of.

I'm guessing the two-stage trigger means you're thinking of a heavy barrel target/varmint gun, correct?

8. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

sir good luck with your build. i started my build back in sept. needless to say im still building lol. cant wait till tax return comes in!!!:D

9. SeanCucf

SeanCucf New Member

Thanks guys. As far as the trigger, I just like the feel of a 2 stage. I plan on your typical flat-top 16in quad rail. That choice is based on comparing trigger feel on rifles at local stores, so if there are nice standard triggers, I'm all ears. Though I'd like a midlength gas system, they are kind of pricey. Ideally I'd like to build it completely, upper and lower, but we'll see what happens. Being my first one, I could get anxious to see it done. I've never really been a fan of fancy color furniture, but the more I see some of the dark earth stuff, the more it grows on me.

Judging by the fact that anything I buy, I can't leave alone (cars, boats, jet skis, Jeep, etc.) The AR platform is right up my alley. It gonna be fun sneaking all these UPS boxes by my wife.:D

10. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Put my lower together Friday and it turned out well; I used an Ardel Engineering lower (Less Bucks), DPMS Parts Kit, MAGPUL lower trigger guard, MAID Pistol grip and CTR stock mounted on a UTG tube, buffer and buffer spring. Then I found a video on YouTube describing how to do my own trigger job by bending the hammer spring and filing the hammer where it needs to be done. I have to say it did not take as much time as I first thought it would and it was just plain fun.

Since I found myself with extra time I started to color fill the markings which is truning out kind of cool so far.

Next will be the upper and I decided to go with an 18 inch 6.8 SPC; thinking terminal ballistics will be better out of the 18 or 20 barrel. This turned out not so good as it appears to be difficult to get barrels longer than 16 inches because that is what all the fanboys want these days. Honestly I want something lightweight I may be able to lug around through the tree lines flushing out deer so I am trying to get it as close to eight pounds as I can by the time it is all done.

I found a person who has some knowledge of how to put the upper together and he is a real gunsmith who has put together hundreds before. Well anyway he informs me of a new company named "Black Rain" who offers a polygon barrel with three groves (so to speak because I am not sure what they call rifling lines with a polygon barrel) in 18 and twenty inches. At one time I was huge into HK's so I actually like polygon bores. The brand of upper receiver is up for grabs right now as is the gas system but we will see what comes of all this by the first week of January. I have had and prefer the JP free float tube so I suspect that will be in the package as well. It goes on and on and building or having one built is more fun than just buying one premade off the shelf.

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Sean,

If you want a good quality two stage trigger at a reasonable price for the quality I would recommend you look into the Rock River Arms two stage. They are a fine unit. Simple drop in with no problem.:)

12. SeanCucf

SeanCucf New Member

Thanks. That's the only 2 stage I've tried, and I like it a lot.

I think I'm going with that and a White Oak LPK from ADCO. I can get the whole setup with a magpul trigger guard for $160.....$20 less than standard 2 stage kit from RRA directly.

13. SeanCucf

SeanCucf New Member

14. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

Thats a nice upper your lookin at. im gonna get a bcm reece 16 with the 12in daniel defense free float handguard.

15. SeanCucf

SeanCucf New Member

The LPK/trigger guard and RRA 2stage arrive from ADCO last week. I haven't had any time to put it together yet. But, here I sit shopping for stocks. I can't help but notice that retailers want like $10-20 MORE to sell the stock with the buffer tube/springs etc. in "kits". I can get the stock separately from the hardware and save $$.

Am I missing something? Specifically I'm looking at the VLTOR Carbine EMOD and separate hardware from BCM for $186 to my door, or the "Combo kit" for $185 BEFORE shipping???

1) What am I missing?

2) I am assuming a standard buffer will do fine, correct?

The more I shop, I'm now leaning towards building the upper completely, instead of buying one complete.....

Oh, decisions, decisions...

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

There are two sizes of buffers and different size springs depending on the configuration of the stock.

Buffers themselves have weights inside them that people mess with if they want to fire lower pressure rounds ( like subsonic ) and have the weapon cycle. That is why you see people talk about running a 16" barrel with a 9mm buffer in it.

If you double check the size of the buffer and spring you need ( commercial versus mil-spec ) and order the right one, 9/10 you should be okay.

If the weapon doesn't cycle well, you might need to play with it ( the weight / spring selection ) but I think what you are seeing is places just shipping a 'group set' for a little more money because people don't want to do a ton of individual part shopping and shipping.

JD

17. SeanCucf

SeanCucf New Member

Just ordered VLTOR EMOD stock/BCM hardware along with Magpul Front and rear BU"I"S, and Magpul grip, all in flat dark earth. I hope I like the color. Mostly been a fan of black, but I kept leaning toward FDE, so I just went for it.

Next up, get it all together, then decide whether to build or buy the upper.:D

Thanks for all the help!

18. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I chose to stay all black with my AR's but I will say some of the FDE builds sure look pretty sweet.

Congratulations on your new found affliction :D

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  19. russ

russ New Member

I like the different colors myself, and I'm partial to FDE.
    [​IMG]

And, FWIW, it is an affliction. I'm working on number four now.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  20. SeanCucf

SeanCucf New Member

Nice. I like FDE more every time I see it.;)

On a side note; I'm already impressed with BCM. I placed the order this afternoon and already got a shipping confirmation!