My AR build (Pic heavy!)

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jamesb, Dec 3, 2011.

1. jamesb

jamesb New Member

So I decided to build an AR after randomly picking up a Troy rail on a forum. Once I had that I figured it was only right to build an AR around it. After a bit of research and envisioning what I wanted to build I started to figure out what I was going to order.

I knew my first requirement was to build it with quality parts as a SHTF battle rifle. Not that it will probably ever be used as such, but I wanted to know it would stand up! I put it together last night and finished it up today. Hope to get out and shoot it a bit tomorrow to check it's function.

The only other thing I wanted was to be able to have a sliding stock. Being in CT I needed the lower to be a pre-ban. The good thing with this is I also got a threaded barrel, flash hider and a bayonet lug if I wanted one.

I found a pre-ban Olympic SGW forged lower and traded a S&W revolver for it. Everything else came together and I have what you see now! I absolutely love it. The only changes I plan to eventually make are a real Aimpoint Micro T-1 and then a Surefire light.

The parts:

Upper: BCM demo
    Lower: Olympic Arms SGW forged pre-ban
    Barrel: Daniel Defense 16" CHF 1/7 twist Mid-length gas system chrome lined
    Rail: Troy 15" TRX Extreme battle rail
    Gas Block: Troy Low Profile
    Flash Hider: Yankee Hill Machine Phantom 5C2
    Stock:VLTOR Emod Mil-spec (holds 8 Surefire CR123A batteries)
    Grip: Tangodown Battlegrip
    Foregrip: Magpul AFG
    Light Mount: Viking Tactical
    Sights: Troy Battlesights
    Optic:primary Arms Micro dot w/ America Defense quick-release mount
    Sling Mount: Ambidextrous one-point mount

Yep.....I love it! I really hope it shoots as good as it looks!

Enjoy the photos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Nice pics. Nice selection of parts.

Are you left handed? If not how do you activate your light?

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

And welcome to the AR forum. It's nice to have people of similar taste in ARs around.

4. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

Man that looks nice. Now you got me interested in something like that. Mabye a 10 in barrel and an eotech xps 2, I prefer to be in a bit closer.

5. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

Nice pics and nice build, came out real nice, the more and more I see people putting up their builds it makes me want to do one.

6. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Thanks man. Yep I am left handed which is why the light is on the right side.

7. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

Is that a 6.8 SPC carbine?

8. SWBMOAMP2691

SWBMOAMP2691 New Member

Amazing build, very simplistic, I've seen AR's with so many ridiculous accessories before I can't take the shooters serious. It's not a bad thing just not my preference. I dig those Troy battle sights, you should update on their performance after the range. Great job.

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It's not the right side it's the correct side :). I'm a lefty as well. I shoot orthodox though.

10. jamesb

jamesb New Member

I'm right eye dominant and left handed so I ended up teaching myself to shoot pistol right handed. Still can't get used to the rifles that way though.

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

You guys need some wiring redone in your heads;) thats one good thing bout being ambidexterous...i dont have them issues

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I believe William Schatner (spelling) said it best, "As am I."

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

So how much did that build run you?

14. jamesb

jamesb New Member

To the guy who asked if it was a 6.8 SPC....nope. 5.56.

As is the build ran around $1,800. I'd rather buy once then buy lower quality and have to buy again.

Video of first time shooting it:

[ame]http://youtu.be/WnEHICr2kgE[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  15. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Just wanted to update a bit since I was able to put rounds down range. So far i'm really enjoying this gun. Using Federal bulk .223 55gr ammo I was consistantly hitting a 3" circle at 100 yards. Not pinpoint accurate, but plenty for a battle rifle in my opinion. My buddy put one round through a quarter at 100 yards as well. We were also shooting shotgun shells and such which was pretty cool.

It has around 450 rounds through it without issue. I've been using Brian Eno's Slide Glide Lite to lube bolt, carrier, and charging handle. Others say not to use grease, but it has performed flawlessly for me.

Since my first range trip which was just a 75' indoor range to aquire a zero with the red dot I came into a few more items for the rifle.

It now wears a Magpul BAD lever, Troy TRX cooling hole low pro sling mount, Vickers Padded sling, and a new optic.

I was planning on going with the Aimpoint T-1, but stumbled into a great deal on an older used ACOG TA01 with a LaRue LT-100 mount. I like the 4x magnificaton, no batteries is a plus and the ruggedness of it is wonderful. We ran the ACOG at the 100 yard range with pretty good results as I mentioned. I plan to get some new pics tonight.

I ordered some XM193 to run through it and see how it works. I'll battle zero the sights and re-zero the ACOG with this ammo at 100 yards.

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Quality gear for sure.

17. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Bit of an update. I ended up getting a good deal on an ACOG so went that route. I absolutely love it! I also added a Vickers Padded Sling, Magpul Bad Lever, and Troy Cooling Hole TRX sling mount. I love this friggin' thing!

Only thing left is the ambi selector. I can't recall who makes it. It is a specific one I was looking for.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

Lots of really nice items on that build, great pictures.:)

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Battle Arms Developement

[​IMG]

20. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Thank you! I knew someone here told me about it. I couldn't recall what it was.