My AR-15 build is finally complete today..........

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by 01coltcolt, May 8, 2009.

1. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

I built this from all new parts. I am happy with it and I can't wait to shoot it. I had lots of issues choosing the parts I went with. I still would like to upgrade the trigger later. But the RRA 2 stage is fine.......
    I took it out today and fired it with 55gr Wolf ammo today. Worked like a champ!
    I used the following:
    Armalite M15 upper/ lower
    Wilson Combat barrel fluted 16 inch
    RRA LPK
    RRA National Match 2 stage trigger
    A.R.M.S. 41-B Silhouette Folding A frame front sight
    A.R.M.S. 50 M-CV rail system
    A.R.M.S #40L rear flip up
    EOtech 512
    Standard charging handle
    POF flash hider
    Dan Young National Match bolt Chrome
    Magpul Mags/ Grip/ trigger guard/ CTR stock and pipe
    Standard buffer and spring
    Standard Gas tube
    Finish is Duracoat Snow gray, dusted with black and satin clear coat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Good work, that is a great looking carbine. I dig the two- tone look. However, one boo-hiss can't believe you would do that to her...you shot wolf ammo through her? Good gawd man, please dont do that to her. :confused:

3. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

:) I always use Wolf ammo/silver bear or Gold tiger to test fire new AR-15 projects. The reason being is the direct impengment system is kind of finicky. If it will cycle this under powered stuf it will run anything:D

4. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Why is your gas system finicky? I never heard that before.

5. plasticman

plasticman New Member

6. JoeCool

JoeCool New Member

Me want! I would give anything to have that beauty! Nice work, man!!!

7. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

Well,
    I have built 30+ AR type rifles over the years. The issues have ranges from buffers weights/ Buffer springs/gas tube lengths/ chambers/mags/ammo.
    The number 1 problem is Mags #2 has been ammo..................when the ammo is under powered it doesn't send the bolt to the rear with enough force to complete a full cycle. Therefore ejects but doesn't pick up the next round from the mag...................

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  8. JoeCool

JoeCool New Member

Can/will you sell one?

9. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

Pics prior to the DuraCoat.................this 4 picture thing sucS!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

So it's underpowered ammo, not the design/function of the gas system. The reason I asked is because several folks have tried to make the claim that the direct impingement gas system is unreliable. Unreliability only becomes an issue in the older full-auto M-16/M-4's where a high cyclic rate could cause a higher rate of heat and carbon buildup. I have never shot Wolf ammo in my AR's so I am not familiar with their performance, but underpowered ammo is certainly a problem in semi-auto. Your build looks beautiful and meticulously done! Congrats.

11. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

Ol yeah most defiantly the ammo and mags that cause the FTF and FTE issues. The gas system works just fine. Now if you shorten the barrel and gas tube to say 9-7.5 inchs and the for a SBR or pistol build, Thats a different story. The 7.5 pistol and SBRs that I have built have issues because they tend to cycle to fast. I have fixed those problems with Heavier buffers/ pigtail gas tubes/ stronger ejectors, ect. to slow down the cycle....................

12. Rare Faction

Rare Faction New Member

Really like that grey, stands out from most other builds

13. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I've never had the opportunity to shoot the pistol version, but I can see what you mean about the need to change the buffer. Actually isn't there an adjustable gas block available for these weapons?

14. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

Beautiful job.

Kinda new to though...but can you do mods like that to just any AR/M15/M4?
    I see AR15's out and about ranging from $700 to $2200. What the diff? I assume it is more than cosmetic

15. alderoth

alderoth New Member

Awesome AR-15. I was building one on the brownells site since I can't afford one lmao!!

16. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Nice weapon - she's a looker.

Good choices on components.
    I'll bet she's a good shooter even with Wolf.

I assembled a good quality carbine (mostly ArmaLite) last winter and it is surprisingly (to me) accurate at 50 or 100 yards with irons and Silver Bear.

17. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

rise of the dead thread :cool:

Attached Files:

18. alderoth

alderoth New Member

I totally saved that picture lol. Reminds me of getting first place with my AK-47 during the local zombie shoot a couple of months back lmao!!

19. Rarity

Rarity New Member

Nice looking rifle. Even though this thread is two years old!