My appendix carry experiences.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Jstrong, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

So the past week I've been appendix carrying my M&P9c I've recently acquired since I resolved to give my p938 to the girlfriend for her 21st bday. I settled on the M&P as my replacement "deep carry" gun.

I was unsure how I would feel about AIWB at first,so I picked up a cheap bianchi 100 series clip on from the bargain holster box at the LGS and wet it down and remolded to fit the M&P.

At this point in time I would only recommend someone try AIWB if you are experienced and comfortable in handling guns,as the stakes are much higher for a ND when the gun is positioned this way on the belt line,as it would either result parting you with a family jewel or worse,missing them and taking out a femoral artery,it seems the best outcome would be a shattered pelvis.

That being said I've been shooting a lot of IDPA and safety has been subconsciously ingrained in me now so I am only a little paranoid about the issue,but am taking extra precautions reholstering.

Now,on to how it carries. If you carry a gun with a shorter barrel and wear your jeans high enough that when you sit the gun and belt stay horizontal then your golden,very comfortable. You don't have to have a 6 pack either to carry this way,I have some loose skin from some massive weight loss some years back and this seems to HELP conceal the gun,so a little Dunlap would actually help do the same I do believe.

This carry position is very natural feeling for me,draw is lightening quick,defending and retaining your gun from this carry mode is almost instinctual as humans (or at least I) tend to draw in towards my centerline when startled..

I would encourage anybody experienced in guns and curious about this mode of carry to give it a shot with some extra attention to safety while you do so. But overall I believe this can be a safe and effective way to carry your gun. And will be my main mode of carry from now on I believe.

2. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Here's some photos just to see how it conceals ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389702496.545479.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389702516.544242.jpg

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Hell if i'd carry that thing around pointin at my thing :eek:

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Agreed. If something odd happens I'm taking off a butt cheek rather then my bell end.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Big ole AMEN :eek:

6. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I figured there would be comments like that,like I said stakes are higher,so it's not for the new or intermediate shooters. And it actually points straight down to the right of what's important not directly at it.

I believe with the right understanding of what will happen if you f#%^ up and proper (extra) care in your gun handling it is a safe and viable carry method for Alot of experienced HCP holders. There are a lot of benefits to having the gun on the front of your waistline.

Not to mention the gun I choose for this carry method is a striker fired gun with a trigger tab safety,internal safety's,and a Manual thumb safety. So I know if I blow a nut off its my own fault lol.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I carry in about the same position but I use a belly band holster. I really like the belly band. I can carry the gun without pulling up my pants all the time. In the summer it gets hot here in NC. The gun and my pants damp with sweat doesn't work at all. Another plus for the belly band is has two magazine pouches, it supports my back, covers up plumbers crack and I don't have to worry about leaving my weapon in a public restroom. There is no downside to the belly band other than they wear out in less than two years. At less than $20 each buying a new holster every year is not a hardship. I did buy two holsters the last time I replaced my belly band, so I have one to wear while the other is drying.

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Interesting pics. I bet you will change your mode of carry soon.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Serious question-
    How do you bend over to pick up that dollar you dropped or tie your shoe lace??
    Don't even try to tell me it don't bite you :rolleyes:

10. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

If I bend over further than what I would have to to say get in a seated position in a car or chair then yea it does dig into my lower abs quite uncomfortably. But I don't count that a big enough reson to write it off altogether. Seeing as anything less than reaching to the ground is fine.

11. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Do you mean change it from strong side to appendix, or from appendix back to something different?

12. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Honest, man? This is ghetto carry. If you live a normal life with a job, etc, it is going to draw your attention and interfere constantly. You'll end up moving it away from your 12 either side.

13. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I carry my LC9 AIWB at school, because it has the lowest chance of being exposed when I twist, turn, sit, stand, or move. And since I'm not supposed to carry on campus, it's the best bet.

However, I find it very uncomfortable and would NEVER carry this way for any other reason.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

I assure you he's a respectable working man and far from anything to be considered "ghetto".

15. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

If I sagged my pants and didn't use a holster I could see the ghetto thing, in the picture it does look like it's at 12,but when I put it on and wear it it's actually more of 1 o'clock,1:30.

I don't carry on my body at my job as a work in industrial/utility electric work. I'm no wanna-be thug,AIWB has started picking up a following in the last 5 years as a legitimate method of carry and is advocated by more than a few high-profile trainers. Thought I'd give it a go and see what the hype is about. I could see how this would be uncomfortable for many people though depending on body type and how you wear your pants,if you don't wear them high enough at your waist,your gun will bug you all day long,or if your holster rides too deep.

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I do not doubt it, and respect his personal choice.

17. guthy125

guthy125 New Member

Appendix carry has been around a lot longer than 5 years, but more people are finding about it and trying now. I myself find it very natural to carry AIWB. I have more control over my firearm when I carry this way. I don't have to worry about reaching up to get something or picking my daughter up and the gun accidently showing. Power to you J for carry long AWIB. I'm just waiting on financial stuff to get me another holster. Going to get the INCOG g-code holster.

18. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

The longer I carry this way, the more comfortable it gets. However, I doubt my fullsize would be comfortable...

19. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I have too much, um, 'insulation' to carry like that comfortably. I can do that if I am standing but certainly not sitting. Most carry configurations are uncomfortable for me. I'm not obese but I have love handles and there isn't an AWIB I've tried that I like yet

This is my preference:

Attached Files:

20. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I am also looking at that holster as well,seems like a good way to make sure you never leave without a spare mag. The fuzzy stuff seems like a nice touch as well

First time I tried it I was like no way,but i gave it a whole day and had changed my mind almost completely.