my $87 vz 24!!!!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by HighPlainsDrifter, Apr 4, 2011.

1. I just picked this up 2 days ago from a local guy on gunlistings.org for $87. I have always wanted a mauser rifle and as far as I can tell its was worth it. However i don't know crap about Mauser rifles. If anybody can tell me if this is a good one or not, would be much appreciated. The barrel is pitted and real dark the stock has been done over with linseed oil. It stamped on the side of the receiver Zbrojovka BRNO,a.s. VZ 24. The serial number is RR 6971. The bolt is marked DR 715. and the stock is marked R 740. It looks like there was once some kind of symbol marked on the top of the chamber behind the sight but i cant tell what it was. Thats all the markings i can find. Thanks for any future help fellas. Sorry for the horrible pictures.

Attached Files:

• tn.jpg
      tn.jpg
      File size:
      3.1 KB
      Views:
    • tn1.jpg
      tn1.jpg
      File size:
      2.7 KB
      Views:
    • tn2.jpg
      tn2.jpg
      File size:
      3 KB
      Views:
    • tn3.jpg
      tn3.jpg
      File size:
      3.1 KB
      Views:
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I believe the ground off area would have held a crest or manufacturers rollmark of some sort. It was common to do that on captured rifles. I would guess that you have Russian capture.

Attached Files:

3. Yeah the only thing visible is what looks to be the out side edges on some kind of wreath or olive branch's. but the middle is blank.

4. It looks like the remains of this CA

Attached Files:

5. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

The VZ24 is a very good Mauser rifle, but of course, it all depends how it has been treated over the decades.
    A dark bore is not necessarily bad - many dark bores still shoot very well, even with some pitting. Take her to the range and let her tell her own tale. Though since it has been assembled from mismatched parts, first having a good 'smith check the headspace and use the 'go-no go' gauges would be a good idea. :cool:

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You have a contract VZ24. There is a letter block on the receiver above the serial number. It should start w/ E. Could be from Guatemala, or Uruguay.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  7. Nope there is nothing there. There are little circles with a Z in the middle stamped all over the place on the gun though.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That partial crest is driving me crazy. I think I know it, but it just won't come to me. :rolleyes:

9. That picture i posted up top there is the same as what was on mine. I read on the interwebs that is is a romainian crest but i dont know how credible this info is. If you figure it out I would love to know.

10. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

What about this symbol?

[​IMG]

Saw it here...

RiflesMauser

EDIT...
    Listing no longer available, Sorry.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  11. orangello

orangello New Member

NICE!
    Do you ever provide any "personal shopper" services? :D

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Romanian contract rifle had a scrubbed receiver, no roll stamp. It is not Persian either. The 2 countries I mentioned match closest. The Letter code would be E, number, loin stamp(not always) a number or letter block. This is what ID's the rifle. This was the lot and defining features. Some countries had there own specs, so this will tell what it truly is.

13. Guy_D

Guy_D New Member

Serial Number

"Romanian" vz. 24s have a letter followed by an "R" in the serial number; for example SR 1XXX. Romanian vz. 24s "AR", "BR", "CR"... all the way through "YR" represent different periods of manufacturing.

BTW Your crest is clearr than mine but I have enough of mine left to know we have the same crest. Thanks for posting the pic, it might help me locate an unabused copy on line somewhere.

Guy

14. Guy_D

Guy_D New Member

Parts????

While I'm here does anyone know where you can get parts for these guns? Mine is missing both sights and the upper wood section of the stock where the rear sight slot would be.

Price was right though, it was given to me and it has been checked and is safe to shoot. Pointless (pardon the pun) without sights....

15. Guy_D

Guy_D New Member

Your Crest

I have attached a clearer picture of your crest, it is the King Carol crest.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  16. drboompa

drboompa New Member

I have a rear sight that I am not using. I actually bought it in the old days when Ebay sold gun parts and and assumed it would fit my K98. wrong! If I can find it, we can talk.

17. drboompa

drboompa New Member

HighPlains drifter,

You interested in my rear sight if I can find it? If not, I won't go to the trouble of looking.