My 3rd build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by VitSports6, Jun 1, 2011.

1. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

This time one for my 8 year old son who has been helping me pick out his parts aside from the extra parts I had sitting around from my other two builds.
    Here we have a Surplus Ammo & Arms lower that I painted the symbols on, My son commented on others he had seen with it.

[​IMG]

A lower parts kit from Sherluk I got this with a full AR-15 kit I bought at a gun show, I already had a DPMS parts kit

[​IMG]

Here are a couple more parts, From top to bottom, An Aero Precision assembled upper, Model 1 Charging handle via MidwayUSA, BCG from jeepcreep927 here and finally an adjustable buttstock from a PCF lower.

[​IMG]

2. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Things are coming along nicely, everything fits well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My biggest issue I had was with the front pivot detent pins, It was difficult to get in as usual, But I tried a few times, Then I noticed that the detent pin wouldn't go in far enough to let the pivot go into the hole, By at least 1mm, I gave the spring a little trim and I was able to get the detent pin in.

Finally things are about to come together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

And we have a happy kid!

[​IMG]

Looking around and asking my son what he would like for a barrel and hand guard, I will be looking for a 16" barrel with the two piece hand guard, RRA has a nice barrel kits that are equal to or cheaper than me going with one of the Green Mountain Barrels along with all the other pieces needed, Like a gas block and tube, etc..
    Unless you all know something I don't about barrels and other ancillary parts.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

What a great project for you and your 8 year old son, VitSports6! Thanks for sharing...

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Great project. I bet your kid is ecstatic.

My son (3) says, "I wanna get big and strong so I can shoot daddy's guns!"

6. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Thanks guy's
    As you can see we are still working on keeping the finger off the trigger, He was in between a HALO game on xbox live, So I was able to pull him away for at least one picture :D

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Oh no, lol. I hope he's not one of those pre teens that gets on XBox Live cursing everyone out. I play Battlefield BC2 and hear it all the time.

8. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

No, He is pretty good about that, I am usually sitting down on the computer five feet from him and don't allow any of that, He does holler a booya! or "you want some of this" from time to time, He really only uses the head set when he plays with his friends.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

XBox Live ... do they have Pong on that? I remember .... ZZZZZZZZZ... :p

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Thats good. Sometimes I wonder where these kids parents are.

I think they do under Arcade CLASSICS :)

11. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

So I have been looking around for a decent budget barrel for my son, I like the idea of the RRA lightweight barrel assy in my third post, However, Is there a specific reason I should avoid a Model 1 16" lightweight barrel? Is it worth the nearly $100.00 savings? I know this will be a plinker for my son for many years, We usually clean the rifles after each outing.
    The RRA is chrome lined and the Model 1 is not, Thats about the only difference I can see so far.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  12. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Yes, you get a great barrel from Green Mountain that'll shoot great for a build like that.

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I personally like chrome lined barrels but $100 is $100. If its just a plinker you probably wont shoot out a barrel very fast. Lightweight barrels are the way to go IMO. Most importantly I think he'll be happy whichever direction you go.

14. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

well...
    After doing a little more research a Green Mountain barrel and all the other items similar to the RRA, I would be right in line with the Model 1, I don't know where I was getting my info, I wasn't doing a proper search it seems.
    Thanks again :cool:

15. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Agreed, Saving a little here and there will get the ball rollin a little quicker.

16. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Ok, I'm looking at barrels, Can anyone tell if this is a Carbine or Mid-length barrel? So I can get the proper gas tube and hand guard

[​IMG]

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

looks to be a carbine.

18. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Ok, Thanks
    I guess I better do a little research to if its something I want or not.
    Thanks again.

19. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Carbine. . . 3rd build ? jk

20. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Hard to believe I made it this far...

[​IMG]

My first one was a kit, Second was a PFC lower with mjkeat's 7.62 barrel and BCG, etc.