My 22A!

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by JolietGunner, Feb 25, 2014.

1. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

The more I shoot it the more it missfired,fail to eject,fail to feed!So I finally sent it in to smith and wesson.Does anyone know how long till I get it back approximately?

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

S&W has a good service department. Depending on the problem it may be a couple of weeks.

In my experience the main malfunction cause in rimfire firearms is solved by thorough cleaning

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I refuse to clean my Ruger 22/45 until it starts to give me trouble. I have owned it for about 12 years I guess. I bet I haven't cleaned it more than 3 or 4 times.

4. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

My gun was very clean.It seemed like it was out of time...

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

22LRs are notorious for balking when they are dirty.

Fortunately, most major brands have complete sets

of disassembly diagrams on the internet. Just Google

the proper model, and strip it and clean it yourself.

On reassembly, wipe the oil off the clean parts, and

use powdered graphite, so the gun doesn't gum up.

Usually, unless you do an insane amount of shooting,

an annual cleaning will do the trick.

6. stans1xd

stans1xd New Member

To answer your question about S&W service times, I had to send my 22a in about a year ago because the magazines would not stay in the mag well. It took about six weeks from the time I sent the gun off until it was back in my hands. They were very good about letting me know they got the gun and updated me on progress. I received a report on what they found, and what they did to repair the problem. When I got the gun back it was fixed, and I have not had any repeats of the problem.

Regarding your problem, also consider that .22LR is finicky ammo. Not every round from every manufacturer will work in every gun. In fact most guns show a preference for certain brands and types within a brand. My 22a likes CCI standard velocity ammo best. It does not like Remington Thunderbolts and certain Federal bulk rounds at all. NormaUSA Tac22 will fail to fire about 1 - 2 rounds per 100 in my 22a. With the exception of the Remington Thunderbolts, my 10/22 will happily eat the other brands mentioned, but likes CCI 40 grain Mini Mags best.

7. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

I spoke with S&W today and they said they have a 3-4 week turn around right now.Im just happy to know my gun made it there.I was kind of worried about shipping my gun.Ill try that ammo when I get it back thanks!!

8. stans1xd

stans1xd New Member

Shooting my 22a in a bowling pin match today, and thought of another problem you may be having, because I had it. The baseplate of the magazines can move and slide rearward a small amount. If this happens while you are inserting the magazine it can prevent the magazine from seating fully. This can prevent the first cartridge from cycling into the chamber, and in the worst case it can cause the magazine itself from seating in the magazine well. When I had my Altmont pistol grip on my 22a this was never a problem, because that grip had lots of clearance around the magazine well. The stock plastic grips fit tightly around the magazine well, which is why there could be an interference. When I got home today, I immediately removed some material and chamfered the plastic to help lead the magazine base into the well. I won't know if this really worked until the next time I go shooting