My 1st Shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by fa35jsf, Apr 28, 2013.

1. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Bought a Mossberg 500 yesterday. It has a 18.5" ported barrel, ghost ring sights, 6 position collapsible stock w/a 5 shell holder, pistol grip, and a fancy little strap to keep your hand attached to the pump, haha.

12 Ga of course. I haven't had a chance to fire it. I will tomorrow.

The only thing that annoys me is the action locking lever is kind of awkward to operate when the gun is shouldered. I have to bring the gun off my shoulder and move my shooting hand a little. It shouldn't be a problem when I am actually shooting right?

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a replacement one that is extended or easier to operate? I googled but my google ninja skills are a little rusty.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

You only need to push the bolt release lever when time load/unload or clear the chamber. Upon squeezing the trigger, the bolt is also released.

Dry fire a few times to get a better understanding of the gun's operation.

3. tCan

tCan Active Member

I cant imagine a practical need to release the slide for a home defense situation. You're not going to need to do any slug change overs or anything like that. If this is a competition gun, just practice loading the thing normally before you worry about something minute like this. Loading a shotgun fast is HARD.

4. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I have dry fired and I understand the operation, I was simply asking because I just really don't like the way the lever works.

The only thing I can think of for needing to manually cycle the slide like that is if the primer in the shell is bad and it fails to fire. I know, like a one in a million chance.:rolleyes:

Still, if anyone knows of where to find something that is perhaps more ergonomic. If not then I guess I can just deal :cool:

5. tCan

tCan Active Member

The breach unlocks when the hammer drops, not when the shell goes off. Even if you have a bad shell, just shuck it as if it did go off.

6. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Oh dang! *Palm-to-face*

Now I feel like a complete moron. Totally did not think about that. :eek:

Well I am going to blame that brain fart on the fact that it has been years since I shot a shotgun. :)

Maybe Biden is right, anything other than a double barreled shotgun is too difficult to operate.....YEAH RIGHT! :p

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  8. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Thanks orangello, I emailed the guy to inquire about one. It should make operation a little easier, especially for my soon to be wife with her tiny hands. ;)

Oh did I mention, I haven't exactly told her about this purchase (or the AR upper for that matter). Looks like it's time to buy her something NICE to soften the beating I am going to take. :D

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Wine; get her some good wine.

10. tCan

tCan Active Member

When words fail to describe how stupid what you just said was, there is face palm. :D
    [​IMG]

11. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

I have found, on my 835...that my trigger finger at my first knuckle hits it very naturally...now that is me. I would worry that the extension would get in the way..but that's just me, again.