My 1st build finished lower

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by capnklump, Jan 12, 2014.

1. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Well I finished my Spikes Tactical lower. It is CLEARLY evident that I am a novice because I marred the hell out of my lower. I'm gonna have to get a touch up marker. I'll tell you if your not experienced in working with all those tiny detents, springs, & roll pins, its quite a learning curve. A few times I had very small springs flying halfway across the room lol... Its a miracle I did not lose anything. But even with all the headache this first build gave me, I tested all the functions (trigger, hammer, safety, etc.) & everything works as its supposed to. I'm thinking about some upgrades for it later like some anti-roll trigger & hammer pins.Building an AR is one of the things that you just get better at the more you do it. I'm doing the upper tomorrow, & with any luck I'll bring it to the range later in the week. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389579479.840670.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389579501.673198.jpg

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Painters tape can save a lot of heartache, I always use it on builds.

Looks like a good candidate for a duracoat/ceracoat job. Nice choice on parts.

3. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Thanks. I used a CMMG LPK. Magpul pistol grip & STR stock. Is the cerakote something you can do yourself or you gotta bring it somewhere??

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

It can be done but I never have. Another member, TexasGunner just did his AR awhile back, turned out great.

5. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

You can do it yourself "IF" you have all of the equipment and quite a bit of patience. You have to do quite a bit of prep work to get quality results. I already had a sandblasting cabinet, air compressor, paint booth and ventilation system at work. I had a small curing oven for the resin pen blanks I cast, but I bought a bigger one for curing the coated gun parts. The only other thing I had to buy was an airbrush. I've now coated two of my own builds as well as a couple of others for my FFL for his builds. I actually just ordered 4 more colors last night! This is a process that I really enjoy. You can really make your gun stand out from everybody elses. Unless you are planning to do quite a few of them for yourself or others, then I'd recommend that you pay someone in your area to do it for you. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389586781.131343.jpg
    Here's a picture of my 2 builds that I have Cerakoted thus far. One is done in Burnt Bronze. The other is Tungsten. Both are the H-Series Heat cured Cerakote.

6. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I use black electrical tape to cover the areas to prevent scratches.
    Congrats on the first lower build/ lesson! Feel free to watch all the build video tutorials in youtube, free knowledge :)

7. McCakie

McCakie New Member

Those both turned out perfect I like the final look of the tungsten a lot :)

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

As stated above, tape can prevent a lot of marks during assembly.

But more important is the correct punches.

9. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Exactly! I always use tape and I bought a really good set of Starret punches. They are outstanding.

10. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I started using a pair of channel locks with electrical tape wrapped around the jaws. Just get the pin lined up with a tiny amount of lube in it and slowly press it in. Then use a punch just to fully seat it.

Works great on bolt catch and T guard pins. No scratches. Though I usually tape off just to be safe.

11. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Well here is the finished rifle. The upper was way easier than the lower. I used some aluminum black for the scratches & it worked out fine. Once again, this is my 1st build. I'll get better with practice. I brought the rifle to my gun shop/gunsmith guy & had him check the headspace & test fire it in his drum. He said the headspace was as close to perfect as you can get. He ran 20 rounds thru it, pulling the trigger as fast as he could & it fed flawlessly. All things considered, I think its a pretty decent build for 1st time. Where I made mistakes on this one, I have learned for the next one. On a side note, after finishing everything on the build I sprayed it down with a generous amount of synthetic safe gun scrub to clean off any residual grease & anti-sieze. All thats left is to add my red dot & maybe a foregrip & flashlight. Planning on taking it to the range tomorrow. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389648804.730440.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  12. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Just get ready for the next ones. You are infected with Black Rifle Disease.

13. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Indeed I am. I can only pray it's not terminal ;)

14. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Oh I can assure you that there definitely no cure for BRD!

15. JDallas5

JDallas5 New Member

You can go buy a brass hammer. They are pretty cheap at any sears or prolly lowes and it does not mar the finish on your weapons but it will leave what looks like white scuff marks that literally wipe off with a rag and leaves behind no finish damage.