My 1st .22 rifle

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by NGIB, Jan 13, 2011.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Since I had some cash on hand, I decided I probably should buy a .22 rifle as I don't have one. I recently picked up a S&W 15-22 for my son and he loves it - so I decided I should get something different. Cruised Bud's and they had a Sig 522 special edition for $375 - bought it this morning. Should be a fun little plinker and I guess everyone should have a .22 rifle. Here's the link to the Bud's listing - seems like a pretty good deal...

Sig Sauer 22 LR Model 522 17" Blued Barrel Green Synthetic S $375.00 SHIPS FREE

2. Major Kusanagi

Major Kusanagi New Member

From what I have heard, it is a great .22LR rifle. The only problem that I know currently is that Sig Sauer was supposed to come out with rails for the foregrip for attachments, but never did. Therefore, if you want to add some attachments to the rifle's foregrip you may be SOL, but if you are not concerned about any of that, then you should be fine. Anyway, I think you made a great choice! :cool:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congrats. The folding stock is a neat feature.

4. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

HA!
    I just sent in a gun to Bud's earlier this week in trade towards that exact rifle and a Sig Mosquito.
    Great minds? I think so.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My son is coming down next week so we're going to have a little head-to-head comparison between this one and his M&P 15-22. For the time being I'm just going to take the Eotech off my AR and put it on this one...

6. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Holy .22 Batman...

Starting them off with larger calibers & "tapering down"? My first .22 rifle was
    a Ruger 10/22 purchased from "Gemco" on sale for $45.00 plus sales tax in
    1974 by my father! I still own it!:D

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Ahhh, I don't think so...:confused:

I had .22 rifles when I was a kid - just haven't had one in over 35 years...

8. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

My shooting buddy at work has the S&W, we've both really enjoyed shooting it the last few weeks. I think we are going to try to come up with some sort of Tactical .22 2-gun... assuming he can talk his wife into letting him get a .22 pistol, lol.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Very cool. One of our local ranges has a 522 to rent and we ran a few hundred rounds through it one day with no malfunctions. It was beyond filthy and worked great.

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

It left Bud's yesterday and should be at my local shop on Tuesday. Perfect timing as my son is coming down the end of next week for a visit. We can try out this one and his new S&W 15-22 head to head. I have extra mags and a red dot on the way so we should have some fun. Based on a review from diggsbakes, I ordered a Bushnell red dot and got it from Amazon for $135 shipped. Yes, I'll will post up the results...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Yes...Everyone have at least one 22 rifle around. Looks pretty cool. I hope to see a range report ASAP.

12. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

With ammo prices the way they've been, it makes sense for anybody to have the option. I bought two 22s last year just so we could burn more ammo.

Very nice Siggy, NGIB.

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Got back from SC today and my rifle had arrived and UPS delivered the Bushnell red dot. I'll have to break it down, clean and lube it tomorrow. My son is coming in Thursday and we're going to break in this one and his S&W M&P 15-22. He also wants to shoot the 1911 he "borrowed" from me and we may put a few through Boomer as well...

14. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Can't wait for the report, she looks like a nice shooter!! Congrats!

15. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I agree, I started off owning one .22 and now i own 6 :D