My 1911 Project.

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by ibewiggin, Jun 14, 2012.

1. ibewiggin

ibewiggin New Member

Ok, I already know that many of you will not concider this to be a 1911. That said, It is what I could afford at the time, it is the same age as me, and I like it. So I made the grips from one piece of maple. I am thinking of trying some engraving, and then re-finish it. Through in a few mods. and see how my first real project comes out. Let me know what you guys think. Hopefully these pictures post.

Attached Files:

2. ibewiggin

ibewiggin New Member

Wow, no thoughts at all. I can handle criticism too. Tell what.you guys think. What could I have done better, what do you like, any recomendations for how to refinish, anything?

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Try cutting the grips down to actually FIT the gun. It'll make reloading alot easier.

4. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Ok ill agree cut to Fit is needed, diy projects still need to have fit an finish. Other that fit you did good

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Agreed. Maple will break pretty easy as well if you aren't careful.

6. ibewiggin

ibewiggin New Member

What do you mean by they need to fit better. They are the same size as the originals, if you are refurring to the bottom, it is flush when the clip is in. And please do not take this as an argument, I want to make sure I under stand what is needed. Thanks for the input.

7. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Oh no my bad then didnt take that in thought sorry, with that said then they are great

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ditto mon ami

9. ibewiggin

ibewiggin New Member

Alright, so I have to ask. I have shown a few of my pieces here. These grips and some stock carvings as well. I responded to an add on CL and he first insulted my carvings and then told me I was asking way too much. So what do you guys think is a good price for a nice custom 3d carved set of grips?

10. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

+1 to that. A mag well looks like it should be there, then it may fit. All in all I am impressed with the work and idea that went into these.Nice job!

11. ibewiggin

ibewiggin New Member

Yeah, when the mag is inserted it fits like the stock grips. I should have taken the pics with it in I guess. Next time I will insert the mag for better reference.

12. accessdenied01

accessdenied01 New Member

Those are nice grips and I would probably buy them for 60 or so with a nice finish but if u use redwood then 80 and who makes the 1911? Jw

13. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Who makes the 1911???, who dosent make the 1911 these days. They al copy the orig tho the colt

14. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Do you shoot your 1911 or is it a gun safe queen??? To me i think the carved grips would just make your hands sore as heck from shooting it. Letvme know if im wrong

15. ibewiggin

ibewiggin New Member

The grips do not bother my hand at all. The first set I made did, so I moved the fillagree, and now it is very comfortable. Some one with a different sized hand would probably not enjoy the feel. It is a pretty agressive seeing too, just to show the 3d concept. Something less portrusive would work for the average person better. A few more people tell me what is a decent price and I will tell you what I told the guy. keep in mind that it was a complete custom order.

16. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I have seen custom grips go up an over 600$ i had a custom stock an forearm built for a model 94 , an that was $1,600 it dosent take long with wood choice to get the price up

17. accessdenied01

accessdenied01 New Member

I ment who made his srry for not explaining more

18. ibewiggin

ibewiggin New Member

Mine is a Llama. It is based off of the 1911 platform but all the parts are metric. Nice little shooter, accurate.