Firearms Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I already know that many of you will not concider this to be a 1911. That said, It is what I could afford at the time, it is the same age as me, and I like it. So I made the grips from one piece of maple. I am thinking of trying some engraving, and then re-finish it. Through in a few mods. and see how my first real project comes out. Let me know what you guys think. Hopefully these pictures post.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, no thoughts at all. I can handle criticism too. Tell what.you guys think. What could I have done better, what do you like, any recomendations for how to refinish, anything?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
Try cutting the grips down to actually FIT the gun. It'll make reloading alot easier.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Marlinman said:
Try cutting the grips down to actually FIT the gun. It'll make reloading alot easier.
Ok ill agree cut to Fit is needed, diy projects still need to have fit an finish. Other that fit you did good
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
Muliemaster said:
Ok ill agree cut to Fit is needed, diy projects still need to have fit an finish. Other that fit you did good
Agreed. Maple will break pretty easy as well if you aren't careful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you mean by they need to fit better. They are the same size as the originals, if you are refurring to the bottom, it is flush when the clip is in. And please do not take this as an argument, I want to make sure I under stand what is needed. Thanks for the input.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
ibewiggin said:
What do you mean by they need to fit better. They are the same size as the originals, if you are refurring to the bottom, it is flush when the clip is in. And please do not take this as an argument, I want to make sure I under stand what is needed. Thanks for the input.
Oh no my bad then didnt take that in thought sorry, with that said then they are great
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
Muliemaster said:
Oh no my bad then didnt take that in thought sorry, with that said then they are great
Ditto mon ami
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, so I have to ask. I have shown a few of my pieces here. These grips and some stock carvings as well. I responded to an add on CL and he first insulted my carvings and then told me I was asking way too much. So what do you guys think is a good price for a nice custom 3d carved set of grips?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Marlinman said:
Try cutting the grips down to actually FIT the gun. It'll make reloading alot easier.
+1 to that. A mag well looks like it should be there, then it may fit. All in all I am impressed with the work and idea that went into these.Nice job!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+1 to that. A mag well looks like it should be there, then it may fit. All in all I am impressed with the work and idea that went into these.Nice job!
Yeah, when the mag is inserted it fits like the stock grips. I should have taken the pics with it in I guess. Next time I will insert the mag for better reference.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
accessdenied01 said:
Those are nice grips and I would probably buy them for 60 or so with a nice finish but if u use redwood then 80 and who makes the 1911? Jw
Who makes the 1911???, who dosent make the 1911 these days. They al copy the orig tho the colt
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
ibewiggin said:
Alright, so I have to ask. I have shown a few of my pieces here. These grips and some stock carvings as well. I responded to an add on CL and he first insulted my carvings and then told me I was asking way too much. So what do you guys think is a good price for a nice custom 3d carved set of grips?
Do you shoot your 1911 or is it a gun safe queen??? To me i think the carved grips would just make your hands sore as heck from shooting it. Letvme know if im wrong
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The grips do not bother my hand at all. The first set I made did, so I moved the fillagree, and now it is very comfortable. Some one with a different sized hand would probably not enjoy the feel. It is a pretty agressive seeing too, just to show the 3d concept. Something less portrusive would work for the average person better. A few more people tell me what is a decent price and I will tell you what I told the guy. keep in mind that it was a complete custom order.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
ibewiggin said:
The grips do not bother my hand at all. The first set I made did, so I moved the fillagree, and now it is very comfortable. Some one with a different sized hand would probably not enjoy the feel. It is a pretty agressive seeing too, just to show the 3d concept. Something less portrusive would work for the average person better. A few more people tell me what is a decent price and I will tell you what I told the guy. keep in mind that it was a complete custom order.
I have seen custom grips go up an over 600$ i had a custom stock an forearm built for a model 94 , an that was $1,600 it dosent take long with wood choice to get the price up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine is a Llama. It is based off of the 1911 platform but all the parts are metric. Nice little shooter, accurate.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top