My 1911 hates HP's :-(

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Zacsquatch, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

I know that 1911's are very picky animals... I know they hate bullets that arent ball... But come on!! Haha.. So far I have tried 6 types, the first were squared off, cant remeber the brands. Then I started looking at the rounded HPs.

Winchester Supreme Elite 230 gr Bonded PDX1 JHP
    And several styles of Federal Hydra shock..

They all just keep getting caught in the feed ramp.

I have heard horror stories of guys trying to file them down their selves another mishaps. Does mine need to be filed down or just Polished?

I have a Taurus PT1911... Its had 300 rounds of ball through it with no malfunctions.

Thanks folks.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Same mag? Different Mags? Multiple tries with multiple mags?

Polishing a feed ramp is a great way to improve performance, but we don't know enough to know if your rounds are getting high enough to be "caught" up on the feed ramp.

It's possible that the recoil spring is not strong enough, for whatever reason, to "muscle" the round up the ramp.

There are a lot of variables. Please provide more information....

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Not to rain on your parade but I've put DPX, Hydrashocks, HSTs, UMC JHPs, flat point, and ball thru my Kimber with the factory mag. I can shoot them all just as fast as I can pull the trigger, no hickups.

4. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

I have used 4 different mags with all the ammo, as I know that can be the issue sometimes. All to the same effect
    Factory Taurus mags
    Chip' Shooting stars
    Colt 7 rounders
    cheapo gun show special 7 rounders

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Interesting. That leaves the recoil spring or the feed ramp. Do you have a camera with a Macros setting?

I would like to see a picture of your feed ramp before we go any further.

6. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Same same for me GI. Kimber no problems. I havent read anything about the taurus 1911. But I know about other Tauri models... how do I put this....ummmmm... I hope the 1911 quality is better for your sake.

7. spittinfire

I'm with JD, my limited knowledge of 1911 makes me think it could be a feed ramp, at least it would be a good place to start.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

No. Stalkingbear has a PT1911, so does Gojubrian, and neither of them have reported these problems to date.

Taurus has had Q/A problems in the past, but their 1911 line, from the new CNC factory, is a very good piece of kit. I am betting this is an isolated issue and not an "across the marketing line" issue.

JD

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Polishing the feedramp can help and if that doesn't do it, try CorBon "Pow'R Ball" HP's those will feed just like ball ammo.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  10. spittinfire

Gojubrian has one? How did I miss that?

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I agree with JD. I know of others who own the Taurus PT1911, and no issues at all with different ammo and/or mags. This is either a real function problem that Taurus should fix or could be an easy home job. Pics would be helpful....

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You know what, that might have been a PT111 and not the PT1911. For some reason I thought he had the 1911 model, but I just checked and saw two posts about the PT111.

Goju - What you got in the safe brother??

13. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

In todays world, with tighter clearances, especally on a CNC produced gun, HP's should feed like any other round.

Does the mag fit securely against the catch? If you press the mag release and try to seat the mag further up, will it move further up?

Lifetime warranty, use it.

14. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

FWIW- I was in the local gun store today. Brand spankin new Kimber Raptor--$1340 tag on it. Magazine fed into it like a hummer in a one car garage. Barely! Plus it wouldn't seat against the mag release.

F'd up brand new gun.

15. spittinfire

Doesn't Bobby have a PT1911? Remember the cow?

16. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Need a good close-up photo of how it is failing to feed. Is it on the ramp, chamber mouth or cocked upwards going into the chamber. And a close-up photo of your feed ramp and chamber. With good photos, I can let you know what would need to be done. Without, all anyone is doing is guessing...

Jim.....................

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

We haven't heard from bobby for some time now.

I have sent him a couple PMs with no reply??

Anyone talked with him lately?

18. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

My photobucket is freaking out to these will have to do for now. As you can see.. The slide pushes the bullet into the slide ramp and the flat tip of the bullet just gets caughts there. It always stays in feed lips of the mags. I have even tried "helping" the slide, pushing hard on it when its going forward but still jams up.

Attached Files:

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Check the tightness of your extractor.

20. spittinfire

I thought that same thing last night when I posted the question about him. Hope he's doing alright. Anyone heard from him?