muzzleloaders for coyotes

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by randy420, Sep 1, 2013.

1. randy420

randy420 New Member

I am saving up for a muzzleloader to deer hunt with and coyote season in indiana runs from mid October through the deer gun season, January (my birthday), up to I think the second weekend of march. I don't plan to actually hunt coyotes with a muzzleloader but if I see one when I'm deer hunting I will shoot it. What would a 50 caliber muzzleloader do to a coyote

2. kaido

kaido New Member

The easy answer, "kill it dead".

It'll probably leave a pretty good sized exit wound with a lot of destruction on what ever I'd left of the coyote.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I have a co-worker that hunts w/ a muzzle loader only, nothing modern. He does go out in the fall for coyotes. Pretty much cuts then in half.

4. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter New Member

I shot 1 with my 45 caliber ML about 7 years ago and it didn't do that much damage.Guess it depends on what type bullet you're shooting and where you hit it,don't know. I was using HP sabots in mine and he was only about 40 yards away.

5. LIBERTY2

LIBERTY2 New Member

Short answer is kills them as dead as can be. One other thing is a 50 is fine but a 54 is better. Think about it before plunking down your hard earned dollars. FRJ