Muzzle Breaks

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by gi_mike78, Apr 27, 2011.

1. gi_mike78

gi_mike78 New Member

Is a muzzle break on a 300 Win Mag worth the extra cost?

2. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Depends on how much your going to shoot it in one session. In my case I shoot my 300 Win. Mag. for 1000 yard target shooting. In a practice session or a match you'll send 80 to 100 or so rounds down the pipe in a mater of a few hours tops. For this type of shooting with this caliber a muzzel brake is a must. If your only going to hunt with it and use it for only 10 or so rounds a year then you may not need a brake. I'll have to say though that the muzzel brake on the 300 Win. Mag. I shoot, along with a 1" Decel pad, that the felt recoil is about that of a .223. Also a brake will make the rifle alot louder, which for some is a problem.

If you intend to shoot your rifle in the prone position definately get a timed brake.

Here is a couple of pics of the brake I use along with the rifle it's on.

052.jpg

053.jpg

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

What's the weight of your rifle. What's your barrel profile? What's your "size" in relevance to the rifle in question??

A muzzle break will tame any rifle and make recoil much more managable.

The downside is that it will make you deaf if you are in an enclosed space, piss off the shooters next to you on the range and generally produce a VERY loud report in your immediate area.

Having said that, I have a hell of a nice break on my 7mm Remington Mag and I LOVE it. The recoil is almost half of a standard 7mm and while I do wear custom earplugs, I don't hunt with the weapon. Well, I have no plans to hunt animals with the weapon, so I will never be shooting it without proper ear protection.

JD

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would like to know more about your rifle.
    Would you stop by the "Introductions" and tell us about it?

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Unless you are mrm14 and Dillinger.

Breaks for for sissy men who like to pack ghay azz glocks.

You don't need to stinking break for a 300 wm.