Muzzle Breaks and Suppressors?

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by Redarrow18, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

i have a few questions about these, sorry if this isn't the right place for it but yeah. i know suppressors are class 3 and what not, but are muzzle breaks too? if my rifle isnt threaded can i put a muzzle break or suppressor on it? thanks!

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Muzzle brakes are designed to re-direct some of the gasses in a way to negate some of the recoil forces. They can direct the gasses up to combat muzzle rise or be configured to pull the muzzle forward (see the Barret M-82).

The trade off is generally the noise is directed back at the shooter. Many brakes are VERY LOUD. There are intense forces at work that try to pull the brake off the gun. Trying to utilize one on a non-threaded barrel is mostly an exercise in futility.

Suppressors come in two flavors, Sound Suppressors and Flash Suppressors.

Sound suppressors (commonly referred to as silencers) are regulated under the NFA. Most states allow them if the NFA rules are followed.

Flash suppressors (ala M-16, HK-91, M1A) redirect the flame in a way that is intended to make the shooter less visible to the enemy. There is some argument about whether or not they actually reduce the visible signature. Ever notice that the military does not put flash suppressors on sniper rifles? If they truly reduce the visible signature, you would think all sniper rifles would have them.

3. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

a lil more bang won't hurt to bad, i wear ear proctection so.
    well where i live unfortunately i believe sound suppressors are illegal :eek:
    so it is possible to put a muzzle break on a non threaded rifle?

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Yes, they make clamp on muzzle breaks, or you can have your barrel muzzle threaded.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It depends on the design of the brake. Some are very difficult to keep attached in a non-threaded application. Fire one round and the brake simply pops off.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

7. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

would it be cheaper or more benifical to get the rifle threaded and buy a break or to just get one that doesn't need a threaded barrel?

random question, what is a "bull barrel"?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Bull barrel means a heavy, larger diameter barrel. And the device is a muzzle BRAKE. Brake- as in slowing. Unless your rifle is damaged in some way, it will not have a muzzle BREAK.

9. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Depends on what type of rifle it is. AK-47, m-16, and Ak-74 muzzle brakes are easy to get a hold of pretty much anywere in the US, but something a bit differnt like a BAR hunting rifle would be a lot harder to put a muzzle brake on and would pretty much be useless on a hunting gun, thus the reason there isnt usually one.
    Sure you can get a rifle like a BAR Safari fitted for a muzzle brake but be prepared to shell out the green for the custom work from a good gunsmith.
    Is there a particular rifle (or set of rifles) you have in mind, or are you just generally curious about the muzzle brake scene?

P.S. Thanks c3shooter, i cant stand when people refer to them as "break" instead of "brake" the grammar freak in my head has a fit just about every time they use the wrong one :D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  10. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

i am curisous about the whole scene and im looking too try one on a 30-06, it doesnt have a threaded barrel so i was wondering if i could still get one or not. plus i think they look very cool

11. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Well, it is possible to put one on your rifle. A 30-06 is a bit of an odd caliber to want a muzzle brake on but that's the kind of job a good gunsmith can do fairly easily, be sure to call one to ask for a general estimate on that job before deciding.
    Since the .308 and 30-06 bullets are the same .30 caliber diameter you could merely have a .308 caliber muzzle brake fitted to the rifle. Usually this is either done by pinning the muzzle brake on or threading the actual barrel itself to accept the threads of the muzzle brake.
    It costs extra to have the muzzle brake blended with the barrel to not have any rough edges and look more natural between the brake and the barrel and usually there is a bit of refinishing involved with either of the processes.

The reason you dont see many muzzle brakes on hunting rifles is due to the restrictions of the ammo allowed in the magazine of a hunting rifle, thus reducing the need for quicker follow-up shots. On the other hand, a tactical rifle like the DPMS LR-308 or M1A Springfield (which both hold more rounds than a hunting rifle)is often used in a life threatening situation by LE or military persons with the possibility of multiple threats so a muzzle brake is practical for quicker follow up shots and less fatigue in longer shooting sessions at the range at the expense of a louder muzzle report.
    Of course there is always the exception to the norms, I saw a fella with a muzzle brake on his .17 HMR bolt action rifle. Since most can handle the .17 HMR recoil, you might ask why he would want one. He wanted a rifle that would look cool and drive bullets through the same hole as quickly as possible as he could with a bolt action. His gun was also in the shop for precision bedding after the muzzle brake was fixed.

12. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

yeah i basicly want one for more for looks more than actuall recoil reductiontion, if its gonna cost a lot its gonna move down my list of to-do's haha thanks for helping me out guys!