Muzzle Break for .300 win mag

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by mvp21fl, Aug 19, 2014.

1. mvp21fl

mvp21fl New Member

I have a Ruger M77 skeleton synthetic stock and stock stainless barrel. I am wanting to put a muzzle break on it help with the recoil, I've gone to a couple different gunsmiths and one has talked about porting the end of the barrel and building a muzzle break into it, and the other is talking about threading the end of the barrel and adding a muzzle break. I would like some input on advantages or disadvantages of one over the other. Thanks Mike

2. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

You might consider this compant too...They make Threaded as well....

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-shq2Jfi4[/ame]

3. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Have it threaded. You will probably want to remove the brake for hunting or if you don't have the range to yourself. Most guides won't let you hunt with a ported barrel.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

muzzle brakes are loud. i have seen rifles that had the barrel ported. if done correctly they work. but if the guy drilling the ports doesn't know what he's doing, it could end up damaging the barrel or even affecting accuracy. down side as mentioned, it's always going to be louder than it originally was.

threaded muzzle brakes work too. but again, better make sure the guy doing the work knows his business, or it too can cause problems as well. it has to be concentric to the bore exactly perfect to work correctly. plus side to a threaded brake, is you can remove it and put a thread protector on if needed.

6. JCS53

The Savage Hog Hunter with Heavy Barrel comes that way. I put the Witt directly on the Savage and just screwed it down tight. It did come with a special o-ring going toward the barrel but it copletely changed the recoil on it ..didn't seem to much louder and did not change POI at all...

7. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Your brake must have side ports that direct the gas and noise to the sides. At the range, everyone beside you will be giving you the finger. :p

8. JCS53

I know...They all loved it when I shot the .308 with Muzzle then the .338 Lapua with muzzle and then topped the day off with the 460S&W XVR with compensator..... :D :D :D :D

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  10. HotGuns

HotGuns Member

I use VAIS brakes on the .300 Mags. The VAIS claims to reduce recoil about 50%. You take a hard kicker like the Ruger 300 Mag, install a VAIS brake on it and it'll drop the bite down to about that of a .308.

I have not had one complaint about it. I have had many calls praising them.

You can get them from Midway USA. Its well worth the money.

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

That's probably because the bolt on unit is mainly for "Tactical" looks,not for actually working.

Any good gunsmith will install and fit a muzzle brake on your rifle. If they install it correctly,they will contour the brake into the barrel,and you won't be able to even see the joint on the barrel/muzzle break.

12. JCS53

It completely changed the recoil on it

It is doing it's job...... I stated this in the original post...

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Or a law suit. I took eye damage when a woman moved in next to me with a 300 wm. The side blast nearly blew my glasses off. I was looking through my spotting scope at the time. I was at the ophthalmologist the next day and those drops were expensive. I did not realize the damage at the time or I would have gotten info and sent her the bill. I watch out for muzzle brakes now.

14. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Get a smaller rifle if you can't handle the recoil.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

there is a time and place for a muzzle brake. that wasn't one of them. in close proximity to other shooters is not the proper place for a muzzle brake.

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I had a moron with an AR with a Brake move next to me. Even that mouse round was quite offensive. People on both sides of him for 2 positions stood up and stepped off the line. Me, I pulled out my Cetme w/ a flash hider, sat about 8" back on the bench and emptied a 20 round mag. When I was done he was standing up looking at me. S@cks doesn't it is all I said. He left.

No need to get huffy. Most recoil reducing devices are threaded and pinned. Fitted so the look as if the are part of the barrel.

17. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome!:D
    HiTech Custom Riles in CO SP, CO. They are best I have found and I have tried many.:)
    These brakes are made specifically for your rifle, not an out of the box add-on.
    The tolerances are very close, that is why they work at recoil reduction better than others.
    They are removable so you can take them off for cleaning, bore sighting and etc. and with a thread protector you can shoot w/o it if you wish.
    This brake on your gun would change the recoil to that of a 12 ga SHOTGUN with trap loads.
    Hope this helped.
    Jim

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  18. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

All my Winchesters are classic model 70's with BOSS,and I always warn anyone next to me about the blast..and never had a problem on the range...courtesy is contagious!