muzzle break/compensator's Question

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Alpa11, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Alpa11

Alpa11 New Member

What’s the deal with muzzle break/compensator. Do they really work or are they just for show. I have been reading up and I’m getting two different stories. Any thoughts welcomed.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Since this question is posted in the rimfire rifle section, I will deal w/ that class of firearms.

Muzzle brake/comp on a .22 rifle is primarily for show. IMHO there is NO recoil in these rifles so no need for compensation.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

^ Agreed. There is no need for one on a rimfire model.

Did you mean in general? In which case I will move this thread and you can solicit answers for other considerations....

JD

4. Alpa11

Alpa11 New Member

No, you guys had is right, I'm asking about .22LR.
    So basically I should spend money on are areas!

Thanks.

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

.22LR muzzlebreaks?

I TOTALLY agree with dillinger and robocop-muzzlebreaks on a .22LR-especially on a "bull barrel" are a useless gimmick simply for making more profit. I cannot think of a single reason to have 1 on rifle heavy rifle barrel chambered for .22LR.

6. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

The only cases I can think of where one would be effective in 22 LR would be on
    a rapid fire or steel challenge pistol. Worthless on a rifle, even a really light one.
    Not enough gas pressure left at the end of a 16" barrel to work the comp.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That would be correct, unless you are buying a rifle for someone like Mark Kate or Ashley Olson :rolleyes:

There is no reason to have a muzzlebreak on a round that small.