Muzzle Brakes

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Remy308, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Remy308

Remy308 New Member

I am going to put a muzzle brake on my remington 700 .308, It already has a threaded barrel, so that's one step out of the way. I am currently looking at JP enterprises tactical compensator. I would appreciate any input from those who have installed a muzzle brake, as far as makes, models etc. and which ones work better.

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

JP makes some awesome breaks.

3. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

Remy, just thought I would show you the brake on my .300. It is a welded on brake and not removeable, but then I never had the intention of shooting the .300 without it. It has been on one hunt to Montana and now wil be used mostly for long range shooting at steels at the range. Our gunsmith makes his own brakes.
    As far as recoil reduction, it tames the .300 down to less than a .308 heavy rifle, ie: 11 lbs or so. This brake is on a M700 Mil Spec 5R.
    When the smith made the brake he indicated he would not put ports on top or bottom so as not to kick up too much crap when shot from prone. It works pretty well, but still there is some grass and stuff blown up but not back all over me.
    Pic 74 is the top view and 76 is the bottom. Course you can see I need to hit the ports with Hoppes and a pipe cleaner.

Attached Files:

4. powg

powg New Member

muzzle break

the jp looks good ...kdf in seguin tx have a great reputation also ....my dilemma is that i have a remington 7600 .308 pump that ive ''tacticalized'' with an ar/stock ,10 shot mags , want a muzzle break because of looks alone ...i could care less about recoil or noise .....but what ive been told barrel removal would be a p.i.t.a.

5. Remy308

Remy308 New Member

Silvertip, sweet pics, im sure it tames down that .300 quite well. I am however torn between asthetics and functionallity. I really like the look of the traditional brake on the .50 BMG, and I am looking for something similar, that's why I like the JP brakes so much, plus I have a threaded barrel, so I am not looking for anything permanant. I want to fit it with a suppressor one day. Thanks for the pics though.

6. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Heres a couple of pics. of the Elite Iron brake on my rig. It works extremely well.

052.jpg

053.jpg

These pics show it before it was parked.

7. Switchbarrel

Switchbarrel New Member

Brakes

The JP is supposed to be a really effective brake, I've shot next to one and can attest to the fact that it's annoyingly loud.

The one everyone (who has one) seems to love is the original Vais muzzle brake. Effective and relatively speaking, quiet. Google it for lots of info. Ron Bartlett owns the co. & manufactures them now.

Vais Arms Inc.

Harrell's and Holland's gunsmithing both make popular ones too.

Active Tuning Solution's sells a new version designed by George Vais (same designer as above). I have this one on my .284 improved rifle and like it.

http://www.activecamo.com/ATSwebsite/ProductsSevices.html

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I do agree w/ annoying!! I was shooting next to a guy at a competition. He had one on an AR, not sure why. Every time he touched one off I got hit w/ that "BANG" and his brass. Not great when your shooting for points. He was pulled off the line.

This is just a question, Why do you need a muzzle brake on a .308??

9. Remy308

Remy308 New Member

10. jpattersonnh

How long is the barrel? What does the Rifle weigh? W/ my Howa HB I put my hand on top of the barrel when shooting prone w/ a bi-pod. It stops the jump. Mine has a 22" barrel. This type may work better as it is designed to help w/ muzzle jump. I don't think the JP will.
    Lund/SJC .308 Titan Compensator

11. jpattersonnh

I forgot to ask, do you use a sling???

12. Remy308

Remy308 New Member

No I don't, that may be something to think about. I am just starting to build this gun and get it the way I want, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I am also just starting to extend my range to more than just sighting in my rifle, and shooting at deer at 100 yards or less. I am very interested in longer range shooting.

13. jpattersonnh

Your rifle is capable. Do a search on slings. The 1907 works great, so do regular strap types if you wrap them around your arm. I shoot mostly old Military rifles and use a wrap technique that works great. It is very simple.

14. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Muzzle brakes are extremely popular for the .308. I shoot mine with my left hand under the stock by the rear sandbag to squeeze the bag for minute adjustments. I let free recoil do its thing and if you need a muzzle brake for that to be comfortable, go for it. Whatever makes you more accurate. Holding the barrel down on my gun (and many guns..most guns) would defeat the purpose of the free floating barrel, so i don't even tempt myself by keeping my hand on the rear bag.

15. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

If your shooting in the prone unsupported (holding forestock with free left or right arm and hand) you should use and benifit from a sling. If you are shooting supported, off a bibod, you will not use a sling. Your free hand will be under the butt of the stock. Laying your hand on the top of barrel with free hand is not consistantly repeatable for accuracy at long range and should not be done.

Positional tips for shooting supported (off a bipod) Or at least as best I can remember what I've been taught.

Rifle barrel to be lined up with target; Your spine in line with barrel which is in line with target; Your legs spread apart and toes outward as to have more stable position; Trigger hand not touching side of stock (slapping wood); Triger finger squarely on trigger not canted to right or left side of trigger; Trigger follow through meaning pulling trigger back and holding back through recoil cycle before release; Shoot on total breath exhale with lungs totally deflated; Free hand on bottom or side so butt as to fine tune panning from right to left to line up with target; Squshey shooting bag, such as ones made by Tab Gear, which you position with free hand for increase or decrease in elevation off bottom of rifle butt; Gently pre load bipod foreward with shoulder. Also, keep you eye in the scope.

The main thing with these techniques is to make your built up position consistantly repetable for every shot delivered. Also your built up position should be as much as possible relaxed in nature as it's more easily repeatable.

Also, always use a swivel bipod such as the Harris BRS model or Atlas BT10 if you have to spend the money (Atals bipods are kinda' pricey), and keep the rifle as low as possible with bipod for better stability and repeatable accuracy.

Unsupported is a bit different in positional build up as you are using your free hand to support the forestock and should be using a sling. Also you most likely will not be set up exactly squarely behind your rifle either.

Unsupported prone shooting with sling.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqAN_quelc[/ame]

16. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member