Muzzle brake?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Tjurgensen, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Tjurgensen

Tjurgensen New Member

I have a Tikka T3 lite stainless in a 270 WSM and I want to cut the recoil down a bit. I don't know much on the subject of muzzle brakes but I know I'll need to take it in to a gunsmith to thread my barrel (I don't want to deal with the clamp on types) but I have no idea on what brands or types to look at so if anyone can point me in the right direction or give me some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    ~TJ

2. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Check out 'HT Customs'.:)
    High-Tech Custom Rifles, Colorado Springs, CO

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Just remember that the sound will be louder and muzzle blast to the sides can dangerously affect other shooters next to you on the range. Ports pointing up will reduce flip and not affect other shooters as badly.

4. Tjurgensen

Tjurgensen New Member

I understand the noise problem and harming others on a range wont be a concern.

5. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Ports will help to reduce the muzzle rise, but do very little to reuse recoil.

6. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Have you thought about putting on one of the butt pads that reduce recoil? I personally hate the noise of a muzzle break.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Keep in mind when you put a brake on the end , it will need re-sighted. POI will be off alot , Did a .308 and POI was off about 9" @ 300 yards

8. Tjurgensen

Tjurgensen New Member

9" low, high, or to the side?

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I run a timed muzzle brake on a 300 WM and I also use a 1" thick Decel pad on the butt of the stock. The felt recoil is reduced to about a tad less than what would be felt with a .223 round.
    This combination of brake and Decel pad really works great with this rifle.

10. Tjurgensen

Tjurgensen New Member

What brand and model is the brake?

11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

The brake is made by Elite Iron.

050.jpg

web[1].jpg

12. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

A Limbsaver recoil pad helped reduce the recoil of my 45/70 marlin greatly. What kind of pad do you have on the Tikka? Solid Rubber?

13. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I find the Limbsaver pads don't hold up quite as well as the Pachmayer Decel pads. They seem to be more susceptible to UV rot.

14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I couldn't tell ya one way or the other on that, as there isn't much UV rays where I hunt. :p

But both are far less costly than an obnoxious brake.

15. Tjurgensen

Tjurgensen New Member

Yeah I have a solid rubber pad on it. I'm thinking of getting both a decel pad or limbsaver and a muzzle brake. The gun is a little over six pounds and being in the 270 WSM it kicks quite hard.

16. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  17. Another option is having the barrel ported. One consideration with either a brake or porting is whether you're going to use the rifle from a bipod on the ground. Brakes or a ported barrel with the openings pointed downward kick up a fairly large cloud of dust on a dirt or sand surface when shot. I have a ported .308 and the ports are on the sides of the barrel so that it does not kick up dust. The recoil is about equal to .243.

18. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

A friend of mine has a muzzle brake on his 30-378 Weatherby and it definitely works very well at reducing recoil, although the noise perception is much greater and the redirection of the muzzle blast is noticeable indeed. It now feels more like a .270 at most and it very comfortable to shoot and seems the recoil velocity is much lessened, and the sight picture through the scope is maintained where as before you would touch one off and loose everything. If I were hunting with that rifle, I would definitely wear ear protection even though I rarely perceive noise or recoil when shooting at an animal, I feel that it could be very damaging to ones ears if not in my opinion.

19. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Just send it out to get it magnaported my stepdad had it done to all of his weatherby magnums and it works great and I believe is a lot cheaper than having a barrel threaded

20. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

The problem for me with Magnaporting is that I wear out 3 to 4 barrels a year. At least with the brake I can continually reuse it on the new barrels. The brake I have has been on about a dozen or so new barrels at this time.