muzzle brake?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by johnrhino123, Jul 20, 2012.

1. johnrhino123

johnrhino123 New Member

hi, i am shooting 25 yrd slow pistol with keltec plr-16.
    also think about 3-gun with same. wondering about brakes and compensators.

2. johnrhino123

johnrhino123 New Member

brakes?

hi. i am looking for info on brakes and comps.
    i shoot 25yrd slow pistol with kel-tec plr-16 (.223)
    and also want to be versital for 3-gun.

3. connectegr

connectegr New Member

I have been using the Battlecomp 2, for about 2000 rounds. It provides good control, without flashing my neighbor.

4. powell0892

powell0892 New Member

I know a lot of people enjoy the pws, battlecomps, and effin a. I have no experience with any they are iust the main ones I hear about.

5. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

I've got the Battle Comp 2.0 as well, I love it except it's got a good bit more concussion that the A2 I took off. It's not too pleasant to be around unless your actually pulling the trigger and even then you need ear protection. But the difference it makes in muzzle rise it more than I could have asked for. Completely worth the money IMHO.

6. johnrhino123

johnrhino123 New Member

i'll look into battle comp. just wondering if i should go with kel-tec's brake cuz they say its made for their 9.5" barrel? also looking at ar-stoner competition.

7. johnrhino123

johnrhino123 New Member

does anyone have a link to an unbiased review/ comparison of muzzle devices? i had a good site once but cant find it now
    thx

8. fetep

fetep New Member

I think it's "four guys guns". Google that. They do a ton of reviews. I think I saw them do compensators with a video.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Competition, DPMS Miculek, JP Enterprises Tank or Benny Cooley, or Benny Hill Rolling Thunder.

Brakes work differently for different rifles, different ammo and different shooting styles. No one unit is gonna be the best at anything. I say you buy one of each and let us know what works out best for you.

My personal opinion (I have not tested them all out)

best maximum recoil mitigation - Surefire MB556
    best compensation - Ares Armor Effin-A

lookup my thread history I did a totally informal review of a few rifles with different brakes/comps

10. connectegr

connectegr New Member

Last month's Recoil Magazine had reviews of several muzzle devices.

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Not really a review, more like simple product descriptions. Not like they tested and evaluaed any models....

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Hey, these days that's a typical magazine review! :p

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Honestly, I don't really know of a empirical what to measure recoil reduction and muzzle rise without use of specialize equipment that probably 99.9 percent of the population doesn't access to. Its all seat of the pants evaluation, but that's all just subjective observation. But that article doesn't even do that. If they had each and every muzzle device and shot it like 10 rounds out of each one, it'd really be worth reading. But they didn't even do that........

I was thinking of string up my rifle and video taping the recoil impulse, but there are so many factors to consider, and peoples setups are so different. Ie powder charges, projectile weights, barrel length, gas system lengths, buffer weights, overall rifle weight, etc etc.

One thing I learned when tuning the Effin A, is even how you hold the rifle affects how much muzzle rise you get. I tuned it so that I only have a tiny smidgeon of muzzle rise, my friend says it pushes down, and my other friends says it pushes up and to left.

So, yeah, its not an easy task.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Good points, AT.

Myself, even though I know there are measurable advantages to muzzle brakes, on a semiauto AR I doubt the significance is enough to justify giving up adequate flash reduction (which could be a real issue in low light) and increasing the concussive effect to the sides. Anyway though many won't agree, the tried and true A2 flash hider has a lot going for it and there is little need to be in a big hurry to replace it. I'd say stick with it until you know it's letting you down.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

A lot of people would agree with you too. Also the newer A2 style flash hiders don't have ports on the bottom so they do also do a little compensation.

16. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

Those were the two I was looking at the most, I could never find any SF's in stock online, so I ended up picking up the Effin-A, and have zero complaints. Good looking comp, with the ability to fine tune it to your rifle to reduce barrel rise/felt recoil, makes it a winner in my book, especially since its on the low-medium price range ($99). If I get another AR, I'll definitely be on the hunt for a SF. Although, the Effin-A has dramatically changed the sound of the shots fired w/o a doubt. It won't make you the "Range A-Hole", but it will definitely draw some looks, that's for damn sure. When I first took mine out for test, I had several people ask me if I was shooting an AR-10, when I told them it was an AR-15, and I was only shooting Federal FMJBT 62gr, nothing special, it made some heads turn, and when they shot it, they fell in love with it.

The MB556, and Effin would definitely get my vote if someone asked me my favorites/preferences.

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I'd honestly like to get my hands on the DPMS Miculek, JP Enterprises Tank or Benny Cooley, and Benny Hill Rolling Thunder. But honestly after shooting a MB556 i don't know how much more recoil mitigation you really need....it shoots like a .22lr.