Muzzle Brake vs Flash Hiders?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Redarrow18, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

With a 5.56 AR, is there any reason why a flash hider is better than a muzzle brake or vice versa? I know what they both do but I was just wondering what I should put on an AR I'm going to build.

Edit: What size exactly is 1/2-28 thread? Its on the barrel I'm getting and I'm confused on what it's measurement.
    I'm getting the 16'' mid-length lightweight model.
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=272

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

They are two different things. A muzzle break is designed to reduce recoil or muzzle rise where a flash hider is designed to reduce the perceived flash of the rifle.

3. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

right, but is it better to have one or the other?

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

There is not much recoil from a 5.56X45, so that only leave one choice.

5. 702Shooter

702Shooter New Member

Personal preference plus application.

Since you're getting a 16" barrel, I'm guessing that you're not looking to do any longer distance precision shooting. So, I'd lean towards the flash hider.

6. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

That's what I was thinking but I wanted to be sure

Yeah I'd probably only reach out to 300 yards at the very max

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Redarrow,

First of all the 1/2 28 thread size is correct for your Rock River Arms.
    Basically means the barrel diameter where the flash hider or muzzle break screws on is 1/2 in. and it is a number 28 Thread.
    Flash hiders for me are the best way to go. Nothing wrong with some of the muzzle breaks but use caution some of them severely increase the decibel level when the weapon is fired (Noise!) So I prefer the flash hiders who usually decrease the flash of the muzzle particularly when fired after dark. The Rock River A-2 Flash Hider or the Wilson Vortex Flash Hiders are good ones.

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have never had a problem with 5.56 recoil, i was raised shooting 12g and 30-06 as a kid. I would much rather have a good flash hider than a muzzle break. There are so many good flash hider choices it comes down to personal preference.. I myself use a vortex

9. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would recommend going with a flash hider instead of a muzzle brake. For the reasons/explanations previously given.

10. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have never heard anything bad about the phantom, u should also check out the smith enterprise vortex, and the AAC blackout. They are really good flash hiders

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

my personal preference is for the A2 semi-birdcage flash hider. it serves two purposes. one it hides the flash and it also helps prevent dust from kicking up blocking your vision and giving your position away from the prone firing position.

most non military hiders kick up huge clouds of grit and dust under the muzzle

while other hiders look cool or mean i prefer functionality.

just my opinion

13. Fumbles

Fumbles New Member

The first number is the diameter of the piece that is threaded. The second number is the pitch.....how many threads per inch there are.

So 1/2"-28 means it is a 1/2 in diameter male thread on the barrel and also a 1/2" female thread on the accessory........ and the 28 means there are 28 threads per inch.

This is a relatively fine thread. If it was say a 1/2"-13....making it up here, I am a metric guy......but if it was a 1/2-13..that's only 13 threads per inch, so the lands and grooves would be much coarser......whereas the 28 per inch pitch, is 28 of them squeezed into the same 1"....much finer.

Generally you will find fine threads wherever precision and high quality is involved. Often on plumbing and construction type fasteners you will find coarser threads.

Coarse threads are easy to cross thread...to strip, compared to fine. But care should be involved any time you attach a fastener. Not to mention that stripping the female thread on an $80(?) or so item like a nice flash hider, and boogering the male barrel thread would be a PITA to correct.

Probably hard to do with these items being hardened and heat treated etc....but still. Always pays to work carefully.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011