Muzzle Brake for a bolt gun?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by WannaBeVagabomd, Mar 5, 2014.

1. WannaBeVagabomd

WannaBeVagabomd New Member

Can anyone recommend a muzzle brake for a .308? Yeah I know the recoil isn't anything to write home about on it, but when I have a distance of 400-500 yards, I hate having to look all over for my target when the muzzle jumps around. It's going on a short build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi-Tech Customs Colorado Springs, Co. Rich actuly builds the brake to fit the gun and the tolerance are VERY close so it is much more efficient:) than the 'out of box' one size for several guns.
    If you have a problem locating them PM me.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

surefire brakes are superb in 308. my wife is running one on her savage 10 and the thing just comes straight back recoil is on par with a typical .223 rifle.

4. WannaBeVagabomd

Do either of these have decent muzzle flash and noise for a muzzle brake? A guy got beat to a pulp on Cushman the other day because his gun was so unpleasant to be around. I'd rather not have the same situation.

5. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Of all the brakes I am familiar with none are very friendly to bystanders. :eek:
    But the Hi-Tech brake was tested at the shooters ear and found to be no louder than a rifle with a shortened bbl (20 inch). I was there and witnessed those tests and wrote an article about them.

6. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

Beat to a pulp? Guess he ran out of ammo.

7. WannaBeVagabomd

The old timers will beat the crap out of you if you break the rules or act like a jerk. It's kinda how the open range works. He was using a 7mm with a tank brake.

8. WannaBeVagabomd

Has anyone had experience with the AAC Brakeout Muzzle/Flash Hider combo? Sounds like an effective way to avoid a beating and reduce recoil.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Muzzle brakes should be banned from ranges. I agree with the old timers. I had a woman shooter move in next to me and cut loose with a 300 win mag with muzzle brake. The side blast went behind my glasses from the left side. I had to go to the ophthalmologist the next day for prescription eye drops. I came close to permanent eye damage plus being out $50 for the doctor and meds. Bring baffles with you and clamp them to the bench to eliminate hitting the shooters next to you with the blast or go on a not busy day. She and her husband were told to leave by the range master since they had caused an injury. I would have gotten their names and billed them if I had realized how serious as it was.

10. WannaBeVagabomd

I'd say there are some that a reasonable and some that are just ridiculous. I want the former.

11. Salvo

Salvo New Member

My M1A 'Scout Squad' has a muzzle brake, and it's a .308...

Can't say how much good it does, as I've never had it off the gun.

If the range is crowded, I just shoot one of my other rifles. Nobody has ever complained, or looked funny at me.

12. screach

screach New Member

My Savage 111 .300 Win Mag is fitted with an adjustable muzzle break you can turn on and off, and it creates quite the blast whenever I pull the trigger. But when it's on there is so much recoil reduction it blew me away! Well didn't blow me away because there was no recoil....

One Shot One Kill

13. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

I really like the look of the Surefire muzzle brakes. May be you could try that.

14. screach

screach New Member

Ya those are really nice, I was thinking of getting one for my savage.

One Shot One Kill

15. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

Yea, it would look great on your savage. You could go with these:

[​IMG]

16. screach

screach New Member

Yes those are what I was thinking, but I need to check if they have porting on the bottom because that is why I was changing from my stock one...

One Shot One Kill

17. samnev

samnev New Member

Surefire Socom MB

I have 2 of the Surefire SOCOM MB's 1 on my LMT MWS and 1 on my SIG 716. I chose that model after see a video on You Tube of the flash signature of the SOCOM mb. None of the brakes on any of my rifles are quite. Especially to the sides of the shooter. for that you need a suppressor.

18. screach

screach New Member

Ya if you're looking for sound reduction, don't use a "flash-hider"/muzzle break, but they are really nice for recoil and accuracy. But samnev what do you think of your surefire breaks? Are they worth it?

19. samnev

samnev New Member

Surefire Socom MB

They are excellent at reducing recoil but can be a real PITA to time correctly. The SOCOM I received had shims that were out of tolerance and you could not use the timing wheel in the booklet they send with the brake to time the brake. So it took quite a while to get the brake to line up properly (time). I don't think I would want to go thru that again unless they have the problem squared away. When I was having the problem I posted it and quite a few others had the same problem. Maybe it was a bad patch, I don't know. This was about a year ago.