Muzzle Brake Dilema

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by SubSniper91395, Oct 22, 2012.

1. SubSniper91395

SubSniper91395 New Member

I am currently in the process of building my first AR-15. I only need to add a few more parts to male it truly mine. So the question I pose is......What's better as far as recoil reduction, accuracy retention, and scary goods looks.
    -Tromix Shark Brake at $85
    Or
    -BattleComp 2.0 Muzzle Brake at $165

The Tromix has the look but does it have the stats to back
    And the BattleComp has some great reviews, but does it have the bite, and is it worth nearly doubling the cost???
    Opinions please!

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's not a select fire, what do you need a brake for?

I'd think you would be more interested in a good flash hider.

3. okdonk

okdonk New Member

For your first AR.. just invest in a decent price tag. Dont go all the way up to the roof. Just saying..
    Check out the Smith Vortex flash hider. Its about $60 shipped.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The Smith is what I have on my Colt.

Attached Files:

5. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a good comp that will get you fast follow up shots, minimize recoil and muzzle climb, then the dynacomp has similar performance as the battlecomp at about half the price.

If you want flash reduction, then the Smith Vortex is probably the best, but the YHM Phantom is pretty close at a more affordable price.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I'm running the Smith as well

8. Rhino24

Rhino24 New Member

Choices Choies There are a few I been looking at. The Griffin Armament M4SD-II .223/5.56 Tactical Compensator OR Spikes Tactical Dynacomp Extreme Short
    I want one that reduces felt recoil and helps muzzle climb.

Rog Tactical , Aim Surplus and Joe Bobs Outfitters All have them

9. g23shooter

g23shooter New Member

I run a BC and it woks as advertised. No rise in the barrel, just a push back with decent flash suppresion.

10. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Moreover, we are talking about a 223. Yes, it does have a little muzzle whip. But it's nothing like a hunting rifle that rattles your dental work. One of the $60 flash hiders will do what you need done, protect your muzzle crown, prevent you from stuffing the barrel full of mud and give you a pointed object on the end of the barrel to break glass or use as a spear.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If this is for a competitive 3 gun style rifle a good comp can make a difference in follow up shots on targets that require multiple hits for time. Just a flash hider does not do the same thing. A good comp can make the difference in 1st, 2nd, or not placing.

I'm doing all his posting from a phone with very slow connection speed right now but, there is s good YouTube video of Travis Haley out there comparing Comps/brakes on a semi-auto AK clone. Compared to a standard AK brake he got significantly faster, better centered hits to the point of almost doubling hits on target in 3 seconds by using a more effective comp.

So, for those who compete or want to bump up there ability to make fast controlled follow-up hits, a good comp makes a significant difference. It also shows how fast and effective a well controlled semi-auto can be with good training and control. The man is pretty amazing with an AR as well.

12. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

It was actually his ^^ review of the Ares Armor that helped me make up my mind as far as a new compensator. I was dead set on the Surefire MB556K, but it was difficult to land one, and at a decent price.

Love the Ares though, it's done great since I've had it on. Allows for nice follow up shots, with minimal rise (and I still haven't "tuned" it yet), and it makes that 5.56/.223 sound like a monster when you fire it. So all in all, my first vote would be for the Effin-A, which will run you right around $100 and you can find them easily (or you used to when I got mine), or I would say go for the Surefire, but be prepared to drop anywhere from $135-$170 for it, depending where you look and if they have em in stock. Quite a few of my buddies that are security contractors swear by the Surefire, I plan on getting one eventually, I'm in no rush though because the Effin-A does the job just fine.