Must have Mosin Nagant upgrades?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by molonlabexx, Dec 17, 2013.

1. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Hey folks. As the Holidays are approaching (seasons greetings to all, enjoy), I want to add some stuff to treat myself with. I have a stock 1943 Mosin in pretty good condition (wood furniture on it is "ok" dinged up at the hand guard section but still nice for what I got it for. I haven't done anything to the gun as far as modding it. Was looking for some recommendations. My use is going to be a SHTF main weapon for LONG range combat (shotgun for CQB (of course all these defense scenarios. Any trigger jobs worthy enough to look into? Thanks

2. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Cosmoline eradication would be all I can think of.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Go to an auto parts store, get some cork/rubber gasket material ($5). Take the stock off, bed it with the gasket material. Gasket material does a better job than a wine cork any day. I tried to shim the barrel on my 91/30 with a wine cork. The wine cork helped but the gun was not shooting well enough for hunting. Then I saw the accuracy kits that smith sights sells. I ordered a Kit from smith sights but he didn't like my money, he never shipped my kit. After a little research I went to my local NAPA auto parts in 10 minutes and $5 later I had everything I needed to make my own kit.

4. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Do you have some sort of pictures of this or something you could share? Sounds interesting

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

It's a Mosin Nagant from 1943. It already saw the S HTF at least once before. Not too many long range scenarios that are very realistic but for giggles you could look at some non-permanent mods, like a Brass Stacker scope mount and a long eye relief scope. Timney (edit: my phone auto corrected Timney to Romney) does make a trigger, but it requires stock alteration.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  6. longunner

longunner New Member

7. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Id invest in a timney trigger. Maybe some sort of new iron sights. Like said the rifle is tough enough to take a stroll through hell so its pretty much set.

8. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Some are decent shooters some are not. It depends on the bore the crown and the shooter more than anything else.

As has been mentioned in other threads here, this rifle was designed to shoot long distances, however, not with great accuracy. Most of the sniping that was done with these rifles was under 200 yards. having said that, if I were going to modernize a Mosin Nagant I would start with a synthetic stock, which would have a much better bedding effect than the wood. I think that is the one single thing that would improve your accuracy, assuming that the bore is in good condition along with the rifling in the barrel.

I don't much care for the scope setups I have seen for Mosins. Eye relief is a big deal. What distances are you expecting to get with this rifle? No matter what you do, it will not shoot out past 200 yards as well as just about any modern rifle. If that is your expectation IMHO you are going to spend a lot of money and not be satisfied

Let us know how it turns out! I love my Mosins but if I want long range accuracy I grab my Rem 700 in 30-06

ForumRunner_20131218_072306.jpg

9. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Forget the mods and buy a pile of spam cans. Then practice with your rifle.

10. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

First off, SPAM is delicious. So, I assume you mean Buy a pile of SPAM, EAT IT, then shoot at the cans.

Second. I don't have one... yet. However, I really like the Archangel Stock kit. Bolt on/plug-and-play. LOL. No permanent modifications necessary. And a good scope.

11. SSGN_Doc

No he means buy cans of ammo. The Russian surplus ammo comes in large sealed cans that have to be cut open like a can of Spam. 440 rounds in a can for around $90.

12. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

http://www.jgsales.com/7.62x54r-comm-bloc-light-ball-fmj-ammo,-steel-case,-440rd-tin.-p-4431.html

A spam can is a bulk surplus can of com-bloc ammo. And yes spam is wonderful grilled and even as a sushi roll.

13. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Sorry I didn't click the submit button soon enough.

14. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I feel dumb. I totally forgot the ammo came that way. As I mentioned, I don't own one. LOL

But... Buy spam can ammo AND delicious SPAM for eating.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Upgrades?

Didn't you get the sling, oil bottle,
    bayonet, cleaning kit, and ammo
    pouches when you bought the gun?

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Smith sights has a tutorial for making your own accuracy kit out of gasket material. A google search will find more material than you can read.

I used chewing gum (freedent) for a plastigauge to determine what thickness of gasket material I needed. What you are trying to do is lift the two tang's where you bolt the stock to the barrel and receiver off the stock. This stops the screws from coming loose and controls barrel harmonics.

17. SSGN_Doc

Don't feel dumb. Lots if details. If you want to see some if the possibilities for a custom Mosin. Check YouTube for Nutnfancy videos on the Mosin, and iraqveteran8888. The iraqvet videos show some walkthroughs on customizing, ammo comparisons, and several custom Mosins they have done. One was pretty impressive at 600yds with the right loads.

18. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I love the mosin and I think it is a very capable firearm.

19. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Good one. My thoughts exactly

20. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Shimming the spring, although somewhat effective, Is a dangerous modification, as most trigger mods are unless you know the trigger system well. There is enough play in some Mosin bolts that the shim can and has caused accidental discharges. The Timney trigger comes with a dependable safety. It is pricey but well worth the money.