Musket ID

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Hubgun, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Hubgun

Hubgun New Member

Hello,
    this is my first post here, would like some help figuring out what this is, found in the attic, dad says it has been in the family for a long time. Thanks, John

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. marc29th

marc29th New Member

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That`s a Springfield................

4. M1Anut

M1Anut New Member

Think we have a winner!!! Good job 303! .72 cal.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

That is a replica of the Spfld. Musket of 1795 made in India. And not a very good replica :(

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

It`s a 69 caliber smooth bore.................

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

That gun is so rare that the National Armory at Spfld. forgot the U.S. stamp on the lock plate?:rolleyes:

8. M1Anut

M1Anut New Member

Thought it was a .72. Picked up several .72 Minnie's around here metal detecting. Plus a few buttplates and barrel bands. It looked like a springer to me.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

definetly looks like .72 cal. flintlock. most likely a brown bess. and not really anyway for us to tell if its an original or a replica buts its very desperatly in need of cleaning!.. chances are good its a replica of a brown bess.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Unsure what you have- the furniture looks more like the French Charleville. The Brown Bess would be marked on the lock- big crown and a GR- for George Rex (all British arms were- and are- the property of the crown)

The true indicators will be markings on the lock and barrel- and that anchor on the buttstock.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

When have you ever seen a musket without a marked lock plate. The butt plate in not inleted. This single throat hammer on a Brown Bess.:rolleyes:
    Mini Balls were not used in smooth bore flint locks. The Mini was a Civil War era bullet for rifles. These were expanding base conicals mostly .570 Cal.

12. M1Anut

M1Anut New Member

Mostly .57, just depends on where your from. Here, have found lots of removed flash pans off flintlocks that were converted to cap locks. Plus a lot of .69 & .72 Minnie's and round balls. You also find .32, .40, .45, .50 & .54 bullets and balls. They used everything around here. Lol

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Well that is new, depends on where you live? Would you please post a picture of a .72 Caliber Miniball? I can not imagine firing an expanding base conical in a smooth bore flint lock? That could border on being suicidal regardless of where you live. Please a picture and add some of those flash pans?;)

14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

The Brown Bess was a .75 caliber guys...................The OP has a replica of a .69 caliber smooth bore 1795 Springfield flintlock musket.

15. M1Anut

M1Anut New Member

I have sold just nearly all my relics, but I found this. The flash pans are long gone to other collectors. Only places I've hunted is SW TN, or NE Ms, that's from Shiloh to Corinth Ms, that's where I'm from. Hunted for years, but divorce will eliminate a mans collection. have a very good friend I sold my things to, he owns Shiloh relics, in Savannah TN. But early in the war, lots off relics found around here, show there were a lot of flints on the battlefield at Shiloh.

Attached Files:

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Very nice thx. That is however made for use in a rifle not a smooth gun. But Thx again for posting the .72 Miniball.:)

17. M1Anut

M1Anut New Member

Sorry, we call them rifled muskets down here, my bad!!! :)

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

No you are using the right term [Rifled Musket] if that what it is. You threw me off by just saying Musket?:D

19. musketshooter

musketshooter New Member

It is an original French sea service musket. It IS NOT a Springfield. They were never brass mounted.

20. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

And you are high to, the bayonet locking lug is on the bottom of the barrel, it is a Springfield................