Musical acts you've paid to see live.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by skullcrusher, Feb 19, 2010.

1. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

When I started going to concerts, I used to have to save up to buy a ticket, gas and a shirt. I think the first concert I went to was the Scorpions and I paid $18.00 for the ticket and probably nearly the same for a shirt. Luckily, leaded gas was still around and cheap.

The last concert I went to was Rush and I believe the ticket price was $140 or so. Gas, beer, hotel room and a shirt for my nephew probably ran me upwards of $300.

So, I ask thee music lovers. Who have you paid to see perform live over the years? (not sure I can name them all)

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Wow, if only I could remember them all. Grew up in Philly so naturally I was at Live Aid in '85. Day started with Joan Baez singing Amazing Grace at sunrise and ended with...oh hell I don't remember. Lot's of great music in-between.

Through the years I saw most of the popular bands from the 70's and 80's, Eric Clapton, Warren Zevon, Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, Chicago, Genesis, Billy Joel, Black Sabbath, Greatful Dead, Flock of Seagulls, The Cars, The Kinks, George Thoroughgood, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Queen, Foreigner, Styx, Journey...88 Special, Skynyrd, Rossington-Collins,

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010

3. subie-jeep

subie-jeep New Member

well not many bands travel near me so the only one iv'e been able to see so far was Tool.
    $50 for the ticket,1.75hr. (~150 mi.)drive each way,dinner before,and i left my wallet in the car so i couldn't get a shirt :(

4. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

1980 or 1981, not sure of the date. Went to see J. Geils Band and the band that opened for them.......U2, who had just released their first album in the U.S. (Boy) and the song I Will Follow was all over the airwaves.

Also in 80 or 81....massive concert of 6 bands at the Colliseum in Lost Angeles. Black Sabbath (post Ozzie) sucked. Molly Hatchet rocked the hell out of the place. Journey cruised through a few sets. Can't remember the other bands. A group of us took some "special" cigarettes with us and the rest of the day is unremembered. The only thing I took home with me was a nearly terminal case of sunburn.

5. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Not in order.
    Ozzy,Scorpions,Van Halen with Roth then Hagar. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Great White, Poison, Saxxon, Armored Saint, Heretic, Molly Hatchet, Bad Company,`Aerosmith, Chicago (orig. lineup) BB King, Metallica, Queen, Billy Squire, AC-DC, Motorhead, Ted Nugent, Rush, Joe Satriani, Guns and Roses, Tesla and I'm sure one or two I cant remember right now. Just worked a 12 hour shift..

BEST onstage show = Queen. Outstanding stage show !!

LOUDEST = Tie.. Motorhead and Judas Priest.

WORST = Tie..Guns and Roses. Axl started a riot. Metallica- opened for Ozzy and sound quality was the worst ever heard !!

HOTTEST WOMEN at a concert.. HANDS DOWN ... MOTLEY CRUE !!

Lived in L.A. for 41 years. Got to see many groups there..

6. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

As best I can recall, the time I paid to go to live perfomances was in the early 1970's and through the mid 1980's were:

Led Zepplin, The Doobie Brothers (with Carl Johnston as lead guitarist),Journey, Pat Travers, Frank Zappa, Greatful Dead, Boston, ELO, Gordon Lightfoof, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Duran Duran (wifes choice), Willie Nelson, Almomd Brothers, .38 Special, Fleetwood Mac, Rush, Deep Purple, Depesch Mode (wifes choice again), Brooks and Dunn, Kenny Rodgers, The Guess Who, Rolling Stones, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jeff Beck, Robin Trower, Santanna, Aerosmith, Paul McCartny (Wings), Queen, The Cult, B-52's, Montrose, The Cars, Cheap Trick, Traffic, Creedence Clearwater, John Denver (had free tickets with friends), The Tubes, Nazareth, BB King, James Brown, Tower of Power, Chicago, Jethero Tull, Steppenwolf, Stepen Stills, David Bowie (wifes choice during Ziggy Stardust era) , Cream, Jefferson Airplane /Starship

Hell, thats all I can remember for now, probably a few other performances I was at during this time frame but I'm suffering from CRS at presrnt or too many brain cells ago.

7. james_black

james_black New Member

My first concert ever....Stryper/Bulletboys. Back in 1988 I think.
    Last concert....Hatebreed/Cannibal Corpse/Hate Eternal/Undying last Dec.
    If I mention all the bands I have paid to see I will need my own website for it.
    I'm a concert freak.:D

8. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

way back when: Ricky Scaggs; Waylon, Willie, and George Jones; Kenny Rogers with Gallagher opening; Eddie Rabbit; Eddie Raven; River Dance; Alabama (like 3 times); Reba;

Recent: Cetic Women; Ricochet (about 5 times); Lee Greenwood; others at NFR Hoe Down in Las Vegas and Rodeos but I can't remember who right now.

Worked: Rolling Stones; George Strait with Dixie Chicks and a bunch of others; some others, but I can't remember who.

Would give anything to see Jimmy Buffet but he doesn't get anywhere close.

9. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

The WHO, in Houston sometime back in 1972 or 73. Awesome!

10. Jess

Jess New Member

Since I have different assets to offer I have been to many concerts and not paid for any of them. LOVE being a girl.

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

First concert I ever saw was The Eagles on their "Hell freezes over" tour. Great show, they really set the bar high. I've seen Disturbed and a few other rock bands at small venues and they were good, but only because the venue was small (Hard Rock in vegas). Recently though, Gary Allan, he is very good in concert and tickets are usually cheap because he's not a superstar.

12. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Too numerous too include all but a few that left lasting impressions were Badlands, Maiden, Pink Floyd and Gamma.

13. Car54

Car54 New Member

I've only paid for one concert-Jimmy Buffett, it was very good.

I did buy tickets for a Meatloaf concert but my two best friends (husband-wife) died in a M/C crash earlier that day so I gave the tickets away so I could go and help their families.

Working in Detroit I was assigned with my crew to work all the concerts that came into Detroit so I saw many, many groups during the 70's and 80's I can't list them all. Rock, Country, Easy Listening, R&B, Jazz, Rap, etc. Best and Loudest: KISS ( The concert was being recorded for their Live from Detroit double album, I was just off stage to Gene Simmons right side). The most interesting: Village People because of the variety of people attending, I saw Deep Purple booed off the stage in favor of Blackfoot who was the opening act, Bob Seger-five times, Rush-their first concert in the U.S., and so many more.

Thanks for bringing this up...oh the memories!:)

14. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Last concert I paid to see was RUSH. A few years back in Atlanta. They no longer tour now which sucks for me since they are my favorite band ever.. As for others? I went to a lot of concerts back in the 70's but fried too many brain cells to remmber them all. Back then, you were always looking through a cloud of smoke while the music was blasting your ears..

I also worked a few Greatful Dead concerts in Ohio at the Buckey Music Center when they still toured... OMG the folks that turned out to hear them play..

15. user4

user4 New Member

Afghan Whigs x 3
    AFI
    Beastie Boys
    Beck
    Blue October
    Blue Oyster Cult
    BT
    Bush
    Candlebox
    Catherine Wheel
    CCR
    Concrete Blonde
    Crystal Method
    Cypress Hill
    Die Crupps
    Everclear
    Filter
    Finger 11
    Foo fighters
    Frontline Assembly
    George Clinton
    Gin Blossoms
    Greenday
    Guided by voices
    Hammerbox
    Helmet
    Hole
    House of pain
    Ice T
    James
    Jet
    Kidney thieves
    KMFDM
    Korn
    L7
    Living Sacrifice
    Muse
    My chemical romance
    NIN
    No doubt
    Orbital
    Offspring
    Papa Roach
    Patti Smith
    Placebo
    P.O.D.
    Prodigy
    Project 86
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Radiohead
    Red jumpsuit Apparatus
    Seven Mary Three
    Silverchair
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Sneaker Pimps
    Social Distortion
    Sonic Youth
    Stabbing Westward
    Steve Miller
    Switchfoot
    The Killers
    The Orb
    The Used
    They Might be giants
    Throwing muses
    Toad the wet sprocket
    Tool
    Tragically Hip
    Type O Negative
    VanHalen
    Violent Femmes

and a lot more I don't remember off the top of my head.

16. County Boy

County Boy New Member

Growing up in northern Maine, the nearest place to see headliners was Portland 4 hr drive 1 way. I've seen Motley Crue and Bon Jovi back in the eighties, 1 of the radio stations used to take buses down to Foxboro, Mass. seen Pink Floyd, the woman thast did "Great gig in the sky" was unbelieveable her voice never cracked a bit when she hit the high notes. The stones and Van Halen also. Seen Dylan and the Dead at High Gate, VT. the summer Jerry died that was a grat show. Saw the band Phish when they played @Loring air force base in the late 90's that was great show also.

17. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

When I was in High School, I went to quite a few at Kings Dominion, saw Jethro Tull, Bob Dylan and a few others. Went to see the Greatful Dead at RFK Stadium. Went to The Who at Carter Finley in Raliegh. Some of the Better shows were at small venues where a saw Quiet Riot, David Allan Coe numerous times.

18. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Might date me...just a little...but growing up on military bases overseas, had a lot of benefits.

First concert I ever attended - July 4th, 1966, Rizal Stadium in Manila, Philippines - The BEATLES ;)

Second concert: Sept. 27, 1971, Budokan Hall, Tokyo, Japan - Led Zeppelin

Third concert: August 17, 1972, Budokan Hall, Tokyo, Japan - Deep Purple

Fourth concert: April 6, 1974, Ontario, Calif. - Cal Jam - Rare Earth, Earth, Wind & Fire, The Eagles, Seals and Crofts, Black Oak Arkansas, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Since moving to Portland, Oregon - RUSH, The WHO, David Bowie, Van Halen, The Allman Brothers, Ozzie, The Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aerosmith, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Lenny Kravitz, The Offspring, KISS, Heart, Santana, Blondie, Grand Funk Railroad, Blue Oyster Cult, Yes ....in no particular order.

19. dcp1987

dcp1987 New Member

well im more into indie hip-hop then anything else so alot of these ppl i doubt yall have heard of. also this isn't that drug dealing pants sagging ignorant rap.

p.o.s (twice)
    mac lethal ( 3 times)
    n-e-r-d
    the urban sophisticates ( i don't know how many times)
    sims
    de la soul
    talib kweli
    del the funky homosapien
    mike relm
    little brother (3 times)
    the eclectic collective
    mc chris
    whole wheat bread
    atmosphere
    blue print
    the roots
    spymob
    grieves (twice)
    whos bad ( a michael jackson cover band)
    im sure theres more but i cant remember anyone else

and now for some yall may have heard of
    bad company
    david alan coe ( i have seen him twice and he has got to be in his 70s but he puts on a hell of a show)

20. themyst

themyst New Member

Before I got married and had kids, I was a party animal. I can only remember a smidgen of where I went and what I did.

Bon Jovi :eek:- it was either in Philly or Pittsburgh, PA 1987
    Kingdom Come, Metallica, Dokken, Scorpions, Van Halen, Philly, PA 1988 where I almost got crushed/suffocated to death as I was pushed forward to the front and it scared the crap out of me
    Def Leppard , think it was Allentown, PA in the 1980's
    The Allman Brothers and Little Feat, Philly, PA Early 1990's I think
    Molly Hatchet, Denver, CO in the 1990's
    Leonard Skynard, Lita Ford, Red Rocks, CO 1990's
    Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Denver, CO in the 1990's

I hung out at several Grateful Dead concerts, Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland - but never actually saw them in concert :eek:

I saw another band in Colorado Springs, CO, got their autographs, but don't remember who they were and lost the autographs through the years anyway. I don't remember anything else right now. Those were the days. :rolleyes: