Music or No Muisc

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by RuggedRadios, Jul 23, 2009.

1. RuggedRadios

RuggedRadios New Member

Do you shooters out there like listening to music while at the range? Let me know your thoughts on this b/c i do :D:D:D

2. ScottG

ScottG New Member

No, I just like hearing the screams of my targets............. :D

3. user4

user4 New Member

It has never occurred to me to listen to music while shooting...

4. slwarren

slwarren New Member

I've never thought about it! It might be a nice change, though I don't think you could hear much....:)

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I like my smoke and noise unadulterated.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Not really. To me this is a major safety hazard. you can still hear with plugs or muffs or plugs and muffs on. You slap a pair of muffs over a set of in the ear noise cancelling head phones and some Seether turned up to 11 on the dial and your asking for problems. Your not going to be paying attention to your surroundings as much. Just like driving and talking on the dam phone. Why can't people just do one thing at a time. If some one has their ipod on while shooting I am leaving and contacting the President of my range and having a little discussion with him about it.

It is not safe not at all. Sorry firearms are dangerous and weather you want to believe it ALL FIREARMS can KILL people. This is something that should take all your attention and you should be on alert at all times. If you are not alert to the surroundings at all times then you raise the risk even higher and it shouldn't be.

7. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

In my opinion it's an un-needed and unacceptable distraction when all your attention should be focused on the task at hand.

8. Nomad 1

Nomad 1 New Member

Music while shooting

I too will weigh in on the side of music being an unnecessary distraction while shooting.

I must admit, though, that this may be a generational issue. I work in the building trades and the younger guys (never thought I'd say that!) seem to like the music going all day and loud. Heck, even the tool companies sell combo battery charger / boom box set ups. Drives me nuts. Fortunately age and seniority let me work on my own.;)

I ride a motorcycle (HD FLHTC). I will listen to the stereo while on familiar roads. (i.e. commuting) Any other time I keep the stereo off. This is to enhance both safety and the enjoyment of the trip.

I think that shooting requires a singular focus and music in the head set is not appropriate to this end. The only other thing I want to be on the alert for is the range officer. For safety reasons alone I say no.:(

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Just tried listinging to music while shooting a few weeks ago. Seems like Prodogy and Chrystal Method (angry techo) works well for me. I dont crank the Ipod up too much but can still hear it well. Still hear range officer calling cease fires for target checking also. Dont know how much I'll do this but it was kind of cool.

10. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I never thought of listening to music at the same time either, but I'd imagine it would be just like driving. If the volume is at a subdued level, low enough to have a conversation with the passenger, and the driver isn't dancing around the seat, then it isn't dangerous. When you get the crazy punk kids who have the music so loud it annoys everyone else at the intersection, who are dancing and bobbing their heads, that's when it gets dangerous.

I think if one can't safely handle a firearm while listening to some quiet music, then they shouldn't be handling a firearm anyways.

11. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

If you have proper hearing protection you shouldn't be able to hear anything except your own breathing! If you can hear music through your hearing protectors, it's time for some new hearing protectors...:rolleyes:

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Music comes out the end of the barrel.

13. layton

layton New Member

I cant see why any one would want to hear music on the range with others around, you need to hear what is going non around you, and in case the range officer has to call a cease fire if something happens, just seems unsate to to me to have that distraction.

Layton

14. Nomad 1

Nomad 1 New Member

Look at the original post

RL,
    The thread was started by someone who sells head sets that play the music. I have seen these on everything from airplanes to construction sites. The music is internal and you are not hearing this from an outside source. My recollection is that they provide at best a 26 dB drop. That is fine for an outdoor range but I shoot indoors most of the time and I start with a 30dB ear muff and will add foam plugs when the range is full or depending on the clients that day.

Regarding the comment about the ability to shoot while listening to music, I suppose if my mission was just to spend a liesurely hour launching lead down range the music would be OK. I listen to music under the ear muffs when I mow the lawn. However, I go to the range with the purpose of improving my skill. To me it is important to focus on the task. As with my motorcycle example, the absence of the music improves both the effectiveness and the safety of the experience. I also want situational awareness for the range officer commands too. Music can get in the way here too.

My 2 cents. I still say no to music head sets and serious shooting.

15. Hawg

Hawg New Member

IMHO music and guns would be almost as bad as alcohol and guns.

I'd also wager the op will be PM'ing the ones that would with an offer to buy his products.

16. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Yes, I picked-up on that - I was being facetious...I also lost a lot of my hearing back in the day when Sony came out with the original Walkman. The studies didn't come out until it was too late.

17. RuggedRadios

RuggedRadios New Member

Well to start off ... I'm not entirely on here to pimp my companies product. I like to hear peoples input on product and as I am a noobie to guns i like to mingle with the crowd and gain some knowledge on the subject. I do agree that the music while shooting is a little on the dangerous side... but then i thought about shooting by yourself on your own property? that is secluded in a pretty much controlled environment that music won't cause you to be "unsafe". I sold a guy one that used his HP for more than just shooting i.e. woodworking. If anyone does wanna check them out i posted them in the Vendor Display Area(I try to keep my product posts in the right places) http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/...ipod-compatable-range-bags-accessories-16099/

18. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I shoot on my own property. I can play as much music as loud as I want anytime I desire. The least desirable time is when I am shooting. Hell, I listen to music that comes from Hell. Could be the baddest arse stuff while shooting, but I would not know. Who wants distractions on any range, public or private. Not me. :eek:

19. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Music and some a hot blond.

[​IMG]

20. Orlando

Orlando New Member

The range is for shooting not listening to music.
    Nice pic! I suppose I could make a exception