Multiple SBR uppers for one lower

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by ZeusEcho, Jul 30, 2013.

1. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

I have my stamp for a 8.2" 300BLK SBR.

I'd like to have a second SBR upper in the 8-10" range in 5.56, for use on the same lower.

I think I'm allowed to put the 5.56 upper on my SBR lower provided I always have the original "stamped" SBR upper (300BLK) on hand right? I can be at the range with 5.56 upper and have the 300BLK upper at home?

Also, any issue with keeping the second SBR upper (5.56) in the safe with other completely built ARs? No partially built lowers or lowers without dedicated uppers.

Thanks for your help.

2. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

If your lower is stamped as an SBR just put any upper you want on it.

3. ZeusEcho

Thanks, I thought there is rule that you must also keep the orignal SBR upper listed on the stamp cert?

Also what about keeping a second SBR upper with other non-SBR rifles?

4. urquidez

urquidez New Member

Were do i start the process to get a sbr lower registered

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you have multiple uppers in different configurations and you have a registered SBR lower, then the intent to construct should be satisfied with the registered lower, because you have a legal platform to put the uppers on. The problem with SBR uppers being around lowers is when the owner has no registered SBR lower to put them on.

Not as likely that someone who has gone through the process to register an SBR is going to wipe out his gun owning privilege for life by intentionally constructing an illegal weapon when he doesn't have to.

6. Argyle_Armoring

^This right here.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I currently have 2 stamped lowers and a few others out there awaiting on paperwork to come back , I also have multiple SBR uppers of different lengths . Its not a issue having multiple uppers for one SBR lower . its when you start possessing SBR uppers and no pistol lower or SBR lower to make you legal. Thats when it becomes a problem. Just because your stamped paperwork says 7" barrel on it doesnt mean it can only be a 7" you can put what ever you want on it so long as its not a permanent change and you still have the 7" in your possession , other wise you need to make a call to the BATF and have the change made over the phone " like say you sold your 7" upper and were going to replace it with a 12" upper . Its great being a SBR owner :D

8. ZeusEcho

Thanks for the quick feedback guys! I thought that was the case but you can't be too careful with this stuff so just wanted to hear it again from those with more experience in these matters.

Pure- it is great being an SBR owner :D So happy to finally join the club!!!

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Now If I could only own a suppressor :( . SBR is legal , suppressor is not , figure that one out

10. Argyle_Armoring

I love my suppressor!!!!!!!!!

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

In Kalifornia, right?

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Nope Illinois, They cant own either in Kommefornia :D

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, BEFORE you possess one, you apply to the BATFE either to transfer one to you, or apply to make one. Submit the paperwork, prints, OK from your local chief law enforcement officer, and a $200 check. WHEN it is approved you will get your papers from the BATFE with a pretty blue $200 stamp attached.

THEN you can have one. If you already HAVE an SBR, and have not touched second base with the BATFE, you have committed a Federal Felony good for 10 years and a $10K fine.

That includes possessing a short upper and a stocked lower, unless you have a pistol lower to go with the upper. Called constructive possession, even if they are not assembled. Tread VERY lightly here.

14. ZeusEcho

Oh man sorry to hear that! So I won't mention my AAC suppressor sitting in LGS jail awaiting the tax stamp ;)

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

give me a yell sometime if you want some suppressor fun. but its gotta be on the freedom side of the border...

most states also allow you to use a revocable living trust to bypass the sherriff permission thing

16. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I thought you cant own either in Illinois?!

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  18. pomfirearms

pomfirearms New Member

How does a C&R FFL help with NFA items? Is it because you have already had a background check and stuff?

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Essentially someone on the IL senate wanted a SBR so thats how they made the law, not available to every person out there without jumping through an additional hoop

20. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

So even though a few thousand Illinois residents wanted to own an sbr they couldn't (Theres got to be at least a 1000 people in the state that want an sbr) but as soon as someone on the senate wants one they make a law so he can?! That's bs...