Multiple CCW Permits ?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by JW357, Nov 27, 2013.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

I already have my NC CCW permit, and its actually valid in three more states than the TX permit.

However I am considering going ahead and getting my TX permit while I'm here, for three main reasons:

- The permit itself is actually free for active duty military (except for the cost of the course)

- I feel like I am up to speed on TX's laws relating to firearms and carrying, but I'm sure I could learn something from the class

- When I was given my NC permit I was told that in order to carry in other states, I would have to have a proof of residency for NC on my body in order for it to be legal. However, he made it sound like this is a NC law. Would another state enforce this? I don't currently have residency in NC so I don't know if carrying here under their permit is legal or not.

Thoughts? Should I just go ahead and get the TX permit? Should I not worry about it?

Do any of you have multiple permits?

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

My home state does not require a permit to carry concealed or open. I travel many states shooting in competition. I have CC permits for 3 states. :)

3. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

JW, if you are eligable for the Texas permit, I say go for it. i have a NY pistol permit (allows me to posses and CC) and a PA permit which allows me to carry on self or in vehicle in PA. Multiple permits is a good thing IMO.

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I have my PA & UT permits, having multiple permits is never a bad thing.

Besides the inconvenience & cost of the necessary course, there are potential positives beyond the obvious. You and GG&C will meet other like minded people in your area and get to see a new range/gun club + some poss. extra range time.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

About the no NC residence issue. Your permit from NC is NO GOOD now. So at this point you can carry if you meet the states laws that you are in. NC permit is junk now. No different with your old NC drivers license.

6. mikemc

mikemc New Member

I say go for it.

By the way...when did you get out of California and how does it feel?

7. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

I'm working on getting my AZ permit.You don't have to be a resident of AZ.Only costs $60.If you are interested,call the AZ DPS and they will send you the packet with the application and fingerprint cards.

8. 1911love

1911love New Member

I'm in Florida and have a Florida CWP. Florida also offers non-resident permits. IIRC, the Florida permit has the most reciprocity. I've heard Utah and Arizona are good ones to have too.

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

Actually I was looking into what the best permits were last night. NC's permit is not accepted in I think 13 states. Utah, Florida, and Texas are not accepted in I believe 15-16 states. I didn't look into Arizona. The only problem with NC is I don't think they offer a non-residency permit.

10. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I have CC in Maine and New Hampshire none required in Vermont and what free man wants to go to Massachusetts?
    So I guess I'm good.

11. jarrodsquito

jarrodsquito New Member

I have considered getting a Utah permit to increase states but have not...I am hoping the new changes they are trying in ohio will help some with reciprocity

12. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

JW, one good thing for you is Oklahoma recognizes all permits. And Oklahoma allows open carry if that interests you.

13. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

14. jbardellini

jbardellini New Member

If you can get it I would say do it. I have permits in Florida, Utah, Arizona, California, Washington, and Oregon. All for various reasons.

15. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

What changes are they trying in Ohio?

16. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thanks for the responses everyone. Sorry for not being more active in this thread. I've been busy.

I plan on getting the TX permit if I can, as soon as possible.

17. austin92

austin92 New Member

Can I revive this thread to say that I have an indiana resident permit and I'm considering a Utah non resident to increase states I can carry in. How would I go about getting that permit? Would there b a better second permit for me other than Utah? Maybe recommendations for a 3rd permit? I just don't know what permits would allow the most reciprocy

18. 1911love

1911love New Member

Florida is a good one to have.

19. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Careful with non resident permits. A lot of states are catching on and are changing laws to not honor non resident permits unless you hold one in the state you reside. For instance, I live in RI and hold a Utah permit. I used to be able to carry in nh, but as of July 2013, nh will no longer honor my Utah permit because I do not hold a permit in my home state. It's near impossible to get an ri ccw so I'm SOL.

20. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I would try for a Florida non-resident permit.