Mugging in Minneapolis

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by northhike, Oct 21, 2011.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

"...The identity of the deceased and his exact cause of death will be released by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office."

I'm gonna' take a wild guess and go with lead poisoning. ;)

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

The "Good Samaritan" may be in for a world of crap.

3. Hinermad

Hinermad New Member

Unfortunately "terminal stupidity" isn't allowed as a cause of death on the death certificate. (Although if the decedent's name is Bubba you can usually infer it.)

I hope the laws in Minnesota have more common sense than they do here in New York. Here the good Samaritan would be facing charges unless he could show that the suspect threatened him before he drew his gun.

Dave

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Hell, it's his word against a dead BG found at the scene with a gun. ;)

I see no problems, or very few, unless a witness comes forth with damming or contesting evidence. :cool:

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah. He chased the guy down, he shouldn't have done that from a my admittedly flawed legal POV.

I say kudos, but I think he might be in trouble.

6. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I agree. My attitude is, once you see the elbows and a55hole, don't give pursuit. That's the cops job. Render aid to the elderly lady, but stay alert.
    Chasing him down was NOT smart.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Exactly. If they are running away, they are no longer an immediate threat.

I agree with and like that he did it, I just think he's in a world of legal trouble for it.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I know a couple of people that go by Bubba and they are not the dumb clods you portray them to be. They are decent hard working people.

9. Hinermad

Hinermad New Member

If the Samaritan caught up with the suspect to demand that he give the victim's purse back and the suspect threatened or attacked him, then the Samaritan had a valid defensive reason to draw his weapon.

If he just chased the guy down and plugged him when he came in range, that's not going to sit well with the court.

Dave

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed I concur with the both of you. I would not codone such behavior and it was not very smart or something I would pursue either, but I am willing to bet he just gets slapped on the hand and minimal, if any punishment. The civil litigation that may arise from this may be problematic, but very defensible and his behavior could very well be seen positive in a jury's eyes. :cool:

If not, there will always be this post for y'all to gloat over. ;)

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's what I hope for him. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I prefer the old "death by misadventure".

Chase him down? In Texas citizens arrests are allowed in Felonies and Misdemeanors involving a Breach of the Peace. Gave pursuit to effect a citizeens arrest...Sounds like a plan!

BUT, try to avoid that behavior in the future. Once is excusable. Twice is a vigilante.

13. Shade

Shade New Member

One big question, was the entrance wound in the perp's front side or back side?

14. northhike

northhike New Member

Having gone through the carry permit class I can tell you that this was probably not the best move. Although I agree with the outcome (one less scumbag on the street) I do think this may come back to bite him unless they sweep this puppy under the rug as a "good deed."

Its hard to say what anyone would do if we were suddenly in that same situation, but these stories remind me of the advice given in my carry class. I do applaud his process afterwards of taking the gun off his person, telling 911 he had a carry permit and where it was. He did a lot of right things in the aftermath that may greatly help him in the legal process to come. Its good to see how these cases play out for us that carry.

15. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I think it was a good move, both men were armed, an old woman was beaten and they guy stopped him from getting any other victims. The way I see it he did the right thing, I hope that everything goes ok for him, hell I would like to buy this guy a beer!

16. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Yup, let the guy run away.......and car jack someone around the corner, possibly take their life along with the car, or escape to rob a convenience store at gun point :rolleyes:(Oh, wait...this wasn't in Oklahoma)...no offense to Jack.

This citizen did the right thing. Whether the libertard judicial system agrees with that or not, there is one less bad guy on the street preying on the defenseless public.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

i think he is a hero personally but in wisconsin he would be up on homicide charges.

chasing a goblin is the wrong thing to do in terms of self defense. its the right thing to do if we didnt live in a repressive totalitarian liberal society

18. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

I feel this guy is going to face charges. The chl holder who I will call "joe" for this comment. Joe should have given aid to the elderly woman while "holding down the fort" and been a great eye witness. Instead he gave chase to confront or detain the perp. We dont know what formal training joe had, we do know that he gave chase and confronted the perp. No details on what led up to the shooting. The perp could have shot joe dead and we would all be talking a differant story.
    The defense will have to prove that giving chase was the safest and most logical decision to stop the threat. Imo once the perp left the scene, the threat was over. I wasnt there so I cant say for sure. But chasing the perp down to stop the threat wont settle well with the jury. Joe should have called the police. Thats what they are there for, Catching the perps.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.