Msrp

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by dmh737, Apr 23, 2012.

1. dmh737

dmh737 New Member

I am currently looking for a handgun. How much can I expect to pay vs. MSRP? Do retails at most stores follow MSRP or can I expect to pay less. In other markets I shop, actual selling prices are far below MSRP, sometimes as low as 40% less. I just do not want to get taken advantage of because of my lack of market knowledge in the handgun sector.

I.E. If a Ruger SR9 has a MSRP of $529, how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks!

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Any time I want to know what a gun's street price is, I check Buds.

Pretty darn close to lowest.

Bud's Gun Shop

3. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

It'll vary from area to area and dealer to dealer. Find a gun you like and look around, see what your LGSs sell it for and how that compares to online prices.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I completely disregard MSRP. It is useless info unless you are the manufacturer. Nobody at any level should ever pay MSRP for any gun.
    Buds prices look to be reasonable.

5. dmh737

dmh737 New Member

Great info. I'll use Bud's as a guide. Am I unreasonable to expect local gun shops to come fairly close to Bud's pricing?

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You shouldn't pay more than what he has listed. As far as selling to an ffl you should probably expect to get half of those listed prices at best. Private sales are usually a better route. You also might do well on an auction.

7. dmh737

dmh737 New Member

Auction? How does that work? If its online it still has to go to an ffl, correct?

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It may have to be transferred through one but it doesn't have to be sold to one. Someone who wants the gun will pay what it is worth. An ffl will pay at most half of what it will sell for.

9. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Don't forget to factor in that, if you're ordering from Buds, the 3% credit card charge, as well as your local FFL transfer fee, and shipping and handling when comparing prices to your LGS. Sometimes ,when you add in all the additional costs, while Buds looks cheaper, it's actually better to support the local business. My wife's rifle actually, after fees, cost me less at the LGS than via ordering.

10. kg4tyr

kg4tyr New Member

It would help if we knew where you're from. That way someone in your area could suggest where to go. Online is great but you have to watch FFL transfer fees, shipping, and some even still charge you state sales tax. I have 4 "very local" options to buy firearms.

1. A very new dealer that just didn't feel "right" when I walked through the door
    2. The oldest dealer in the area that are a bunch of jerks. They honestly act like they could care if you ever walked through the door.
    3. Bass Pro Shops. Probably as close to MSRP as you'll see. Sort of the equivalent of a tourist trap.
    4. My favorite LGS, owned by a husband and wife and will do anything they can to help you get the best deal they can. Sometimes it may not be the cheapest, but they make up for it on service and little deals throughout the year on ammo, etc., and it's still never close to MSRP

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Just a heads up. Sales tax on all online purchases will be coming down the line soon.

12. dmh737

dmh737 New Member

I knew that was coming. More taxes. Just what we need to jump start the economy. As far as where I am. Huntsville, Al. I have several to choose from, I just am new to the gun world and am trying to do some homework before going in. My wife and I are looking at Ruger LC9/SR9. From what I have seen/read, you can't go wrong with a Ruger. Or am I wrong?

13. Polygon

Polygon New Member

You can get the cash discount by sending in a money order or by paying online via ACH. I do it all the time at Bud's. I also like the fact that I can put guns on layaway to make sure I get them before they're out of stock but can pay over time.

Also, Bud's beats all of my LGS every time. I would love to support them, but I'm going to support my wallet first.

14. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I'm not disputing that, I was merely pointing out, to those that use debit/credit cards, to remember to factor that in.
    Fortunately, my lgs also does layaway.
    But if it is a significant difference? Yeah, I go Buds then.

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I have had great luck w Ruger but when it comes to high cap 9 or 40 cal., there is just too much to choose from. Do you need a match grade barrel ? how about trigger ? Ruger is a great value but triggers have not been one of their virtues and after market options are slim.

Sig & HK are high quality but have prices to match. I w love to say the days of hunting for reliable mags is over but ...."It Happens"

16. dmh737

dmh737 New Member

I don't know what a match grade barrel is. From what I have read and seen the Rugers seem to be about the best bang for the buck. But if you think I need to look elsewhere please recommend. I am open to guidance.

17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Most FFL's in my area charge $25 to $35 for receiving and transferring Internet purchases. I think this is fair because they've got a brick and mortar store to keep open and thier not earning any markup on the gun.

On a 500 dollar gun that's about 5% which I'm happy to pay just to have an FFL to do my transfer. So I guess my rule would be that anything local within 5% of Buds is ok and I'd just buy it from the local guy since most of them don't charge a transfer fee if I'm buying from them.

Tack

18. dmh737

dmh737 New Member

I agree. I would even pay slightly more to buy local......but only slightly.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have a feeling that as we get closer to the November elections, prices will get much closer to the MSRP that is listed. plus as availability gets harder and harder, prices could increase also. as of right now, until after the elections, i am going to curtail most any new gun purchases and restrict myself to used firearms for myself.

personally i prefer to buy from my LGS, as he usually beats any deal i could get online and i prefer to see a firearm in person to inspect and decide whether to purchase or not. for me, buying a firearm is still a personal thing.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012