MRE's

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by 12fretter, Jun 30, 2011.

1. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I've been looking into getting some MRE's and other emergency food supply kits but am inundated with information. Anyone have a great place that's also inexpensive to get this type of food? As far as I can tell, a typical MRE is going for about $5.50 per meal. I've also seen big buckets of prepacked dry food you add water to, each bucket contains 275 meals. Those can be had for around $110 per bucket.

Help. Please.

2. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

start by buying a 10 lbs bag of rice and a 10 lbs of beans and stock up on canned food its alot cheaper and you can eat it as the years pass and replace as you go,its cheaper then trying to buy enough mres for your whole family.just my opionion..

3. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

How long do canned goods really last? I've heard only a year, is that true?

4. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

id research that but ive heard at least a couple years plus if you get into canning as kids my parents did alot of canning, im going to get jars and a good pot to start canning this winter after harvest,and hopefully a good fishing season.

i did a little research and its says two years is good after two years the product might lose textuer or color but should still be good if the can still has vacuum pressure when opened,also if the can is not bulged or damaged.you should keep your cans in cool dry conditions but also the good things about canned you can eat and replace for very cheap.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  5. JonM

JonM Moderator

+1

rice and beans (dried variety) is the best easiest to transport ohsht food you can get. ive got 500lbs of rice and beans sealed away in food saver bags. MUCH easier to transport than the equivelent value of mre and will outlast mre's vaccuum sealed by centuries.

in a barter situation rice and beans are easier to trade than mre better food value and more uses. can make alcohol with rice.

6. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Many thanks. That saves a lot of money and time, and aggravation. Now I can spend that time and money on more ammo.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

one other thing, mre arent meant to be a sustained survival food just as a stop gap for a week or two before real food can be obtained. mre do real bad things to your innards mainly by way of severe constipation which can be fatal if used as long term sustenance. if your forced to survive on them for long periods and you stop going poo on a regular basis you need to seek medical help and advice

they arent bad when used as a supplement but shouldnt be your sole source of food