Mre

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Bigcountry02, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I decided to open an MRE, Surepak-12 brand. I opened the Cheese Tortellini, ate it cold. Not bad taste, the dogs ere not happy that I was not sharing some new food with them.

I usually save the heaters for the specific ones for heating!

What drove them mad, when the Peanut Butter cookie package was opened! :D

I keep the MRE's in the cold dark closet for shelf life.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

are you in the doghouse? sounds like it. you're eating an MRE and the dogs are watching you eat it.:eek:

might still be time enough to apologise to the wife and still get a home cooked meal for dinner if you do it in time!:p

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

I hate MREs but I see the value to having some around. And obviously they are perfect for the military.

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I hate MREs. Cold!.....nasty. Why?..........

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have never had the pleasure of eating an MRE.

6. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I've found that they aren't as bad as most people describe. But then again I'll eat about anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The term "pleasure" is questionable, but I can remedy your lack of experience.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have eaten them a couple of times. not something i would eat if i have other choices.

9. Bigcountry02

No doghouse; but, had that taste for an MRE! :D

10. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

I ate them for about 6 months straight and half the time are them cold. I used to save the heaters to make mre bombs to scare my buddies while they were sleeping

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Count yourself lucky. I have had the military issue version. They are NASTY. You might as well give them to the dog, can't be told apart from dog food. Plus, they're expensive, and not that good for you, I hear.

12. Bigcountry02

I got adjusted to them when deployed in the field. An acquired taste! :rolleyes:

13. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

They really are not bad at all only a couple that I would not touch with a ten foot pole. The pasta ones are good and so is chicken cacciatore

14. Bigcountry02

Expensive YES! The price has jumped in the last few years. I purchased the ones in 2010/2011 years. The price for the box of 12, not counting the cost of shipping and handling. Running $79 with heater.

MRE is good when you are at the range, hiking or got a only specific amount of room in the pack.

15. Bigcountry02

Back in the 80's we had the beef pattie meal, that was either heated over the stove or fire pit in water. Eat that thing cold and you will lose a tooth or two!

That thing was a hockey puck!

16. stratrider

stratrider New Member

We used to save our tiny toilet paper packs that came with each MRE. You'd need these after about 3 days if all you eat is MREs.

17. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Lmfao!.....

18. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

Hey that was my favorite one, also the pork pattie.... yum yum. I also liked the strawberry - peach - fruit cocktail bricks, still liked the C RATS better.......

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

I will say this. The MREs that we get nowadays are significantly better than the ones I was eating six years ago when I first joined.

20. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I've recently started selling freeze dried food as a very part time deal. In order to be able to discuss the product intelligently, know the tastes and the best ways to prepare it, Cin and I have been working some of into weekly meals. The product does have pre-made meals, but it puts more emphasis on separate freeze dried meats, vegetable, fruits, etc,, where you can use your own recipies. I have to say that I've been very pleasantly surprised. It's not the freeze dried food I remember from 20 years ago. Not only is it not bad, it's pretty good. Apparently freeze dried food isn't only for the apocalypse any more.