MRE"s need help ??

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by gunpacker, Jul 26, 2009.

1. gunpacker

gunpacker New Member

I have a couple of cases of MRE's that were producted by Mil-spec's for DoD
    The company that I work for is a defense contractor and they were going to discard this 10 cases of MRE's because they were expired.
    My question is: the mre's do not have any markings on them that states a date of expired on them. There is no expired date on the outer box nor on the mre's itself. They are in indivdually wrapped thick plactic bags and are air tight. They are not leaking & are very good conditon.
    Would you use them to put in your BOB if the SHTF ????

Thanks,

gunpacker

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

First off, welcome to the FTF community. Head over to the New Member section and introduce yourself to the folks.

Secondly, if there's no date, how are they expired? I'd think there has to be some kind of date code somewhere.

MRE's are after my time. ;)

3. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I've never seen MRE's without an expiration date...you sure there's no date code? Open one up and check the can of meat - any rust or corrosion? I would keep them for emergency use...or pass them out to your friends...if after a few weeks you don't have any friends left...well, you'll know they were no good...

4. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

If they are expired I'd open them up and pull out the non perishables and repack them with stuff from the semi-MRE thread that's buried somewhere.

If they are still good, keep them cool and they'll last longer (obviously)

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

MRE's can go bad but if stored properly they will last for years. Cool, dry, constant temps and they're happy. Also, there should be a date somewhere, the military dates everything!

6. OC357

OC357 New Member

You are referring to the new MRE's in the light tan packaging with the ration heaters in them, right? I have a few of them and there are no dates on the outside packaging. On the ones I have anyway. They just say what they are etc on the packaging........For example, the one I am looking at says just menu#10....chile and macaroni....meal-ready-to-eat....Ameriqual Packaging, Evansville, In 47710.....US Gov Property....Commercial Resale is Unlawful.....etc. There is not a date anywhere. I don't know why there is no date because the military dates everything in my experience. Perhaps the dates were on the cases they origionally came in, which I don't have. I think they came 12 in a case.

If it's the older type of MRE's in the OD pouches, I don't have any of those currently. I know the old "C-Rats" (the OD cans) had dates. The old "K-Rats"...I don't remember.

If stored at normal room temp, they should last a long time I would think.

OC

7. GatorswithGuns

GatorswithGuns New Member

That's funny. We just broke open a 15 year old pack here at my house. Everything was fine (not to be confused with tasty).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  8. trautert

trautert New Member

I'm willing to bet they were tasty. Just not good tasty. :)
    Tom

9. OC357

OC357 New Member

The newer MRE's are much better than the older ones which were not good at all in my opinion. Not exactly 5 star cuisine but only "tasty as in edible." They are a complete hot meal in minutes, and are easy to pack as they don't weigh anything or take up much space. I use them on runs and when I am in the boonies. If there is another alternative they usually come back home unopened, so they are my back-up.

OC

10. TelstaR

TelstaR New Member

Im my opinion, a BOB is packed with minimal survival needs in mind. When it comes to weight and size issues, I only use US Coastguard "style" coconut food bricks for a BOB. They are small, light and are not thirst provoking.

11. dyingtime

dyingtime New Member

MRE's

I have usually found the inspection date on the box. As someone else said it all depends when they were mfg'd and how they have been stored. Take out on meal and if its not bloated it may be fine. I have eaten the secondary items like applesauce, pound cakes out of MRE's that were over 5 yrs old.

However, if you are not sure of the mfg date I would simply take out the accessories and chunk the main entree. One trip to the ER is more than a new case of MRE's.

12. layton

layton New Member

I have never had the privilege of tasting the MRE, the first part of my service in the early 60's was the old WW11 3 meal canned rations, still remember the meat & potatoes and eating them where you could not heat them, that cold chunky grease just slid down with out chewing, and the meat was dark red horse meat.I guess the Military finally ran out and the new one meal packs came out,tey were a whole lot better.

I liked the frankfurters & beans, they also had beans & frankfurters, the difference was with one, you 2 frankfurters and the other only had one.I never ran into any of the canned ones that were bad, just thought that the MRE was the same way.I remember when they first came out, the Congress were all eating them and saying how good they ate, and I thought, yea, try eating 24/7 and see what you think.

I thought the MRE's were vacuum packed, so would not go bad.Are ther old style/new style MRE's now? And are they fairly good rats?

Layton

13. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

I have no big complaint about them but I haven't had to eat them for long spans of time.

Every couple years now they re-evaluate the menu and come out with new menu items to replace the unpopular/disgusting ones. So they are pretty much constantly changing.

14. dyingtime

dyingtime New Member

Some are quite good

I bought some emergency rations from costoco last year that were mfg'd by one of the gov't MRE makers. They were great, and the recent ones I have tried are a good meal.

The key is finding the correct mfg'ers and buying the public versions. The ones with the heaters built in are nice to use.

I have switched to freeze dried meals but will be picking up one case of MREs in the near future. The new ones are a huge improvement.