Mp vs glock

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by kmglocks, Aug 20, 2012.

1. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Recently our department decided to test the mp .40. Let me say that it is a smooth shooting gun and i am in love. My only worry is is that it hasnt been around long enough to see if it compares quality wise to the glocks? Any thoughts?

2. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Its been around 11 years with no issues. Its fine.

3. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Well, good enough for me.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've heard far fewer complaints about M&P than I have GLOCK. I wouldn't say that really means so much since GLOCK has been around twice as long, but it does mean something to me.

5. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Outstanding! The Glock stock trigger feels like a staple gun to me The mp is smooth.

6. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

I have never heard anyone say anything negative about M&P. Also consider that maybe M&P's have only been around 11 years but Smith & Wesson has been around since 1852. Glock has been around 30 years but the Generation 4's have only been around a couple years.

Look at both guns history side by side:

Smith & wesson, 1852.

Glock, 1982.

Smith & Wesson M&P, 2005.

Glock Generation 4, 2010 (not even in Wikipedia yet).

I would say the M&P has more gun making experience backing it up than the Glock.

7. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

I really love my my M&P 45 never felt that way about my Glock 17

8. clay40cal

clay40cal New Member

I love the way my M&P feels in my hand. The ergonomics are great. The only thing I don't like is the stock trigger, but until I can get a trigger job, I just keep practicing with it. My G19 feels like a brick, looks like a brick, but I shoot it better.

9. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I heard that all the new M&P's are going over to the trigger from the M&P Shield. So there os probably a mix of old and new triggers on the M&P's at the shops now.

10. clay40cal

clay40cal New Member

I've heard the same thing about the newer models. I did like the trigger on the Shield I tried at my LGS. While not great, it is definitely an improvement. :D

11. levelcross

levelcross New Member

The two real differences I can see or feel are the grips and triggers. The Glock is squared up as far as the grip goes and the M&P has a better trigger feel and with the Shield trigger it is even better. Then you can get the M&P with an external thumb safety also.

This just leaves some room to customize the trigger to your liking.

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Both great guns,highly accurate and dependable. I did trigger jobs to both. Only complaint I have with the m&p is the stupid little lever you have to push down to strip it.

13. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Have to agree the grip and trigger on and m&p feel a lot better than a glock in my opinion

14. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I own an M&P 40c and full size .45, I also own a G17, G19, and a G22. I must say that I like both guns a lot. I do tend to shoot the Glocks a little better and the trigger feels much better in my opinion...especially the reset. I do like the ambidextrous slide release on the M&P and the palm swell grip system as opposed to the back strap design of the Gen 4 Glocks...but I don't use them on the Glock anyway so it's not a huge deal. I have carried both on duty, but my department has started issuing us the G22, and even though I have the option of carrying a personal, I figure why not use their gun instead of my own.

Overall I don't think one is better than the other. There are little things I like about each of them.

15. StoneCat

StoneCat New Member

Our agency uses the M&P40. One gun at the training range has 80,000 rounds through it, with no need for anything beyond being cleaned and lubed.

Personally I own a Glock 21 sf and a S&W m&p 40, and I've not had a single problem with either, though my round count for each is a paltry 1,000...

16. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

The biggest difference for me between the M&P and GLOCK is the grip angle and weight. The M&P will be slightly heavier than a GLOCK. For instance, my M&P .40 is heavier than my GLOCK 22, however, I strongly prefer the grip angle on the M&P over the GLOCK