Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay I am wondering what options you would all recommend for accessorizing an S & W MP 15 Sport with optics, magazines and other stuff to keep it under $1450 total

Looking for optics that can be used with iron sights in case of failure, tripod or vertical grip, lights and stuff - this is gonna be for home defense and defense of self if something really bad happens

Suggestions - recommendations appreciated?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
you looking to spend 1450 on the gun and accessories or just the accessories??

if gun and accessories i would suggest getting the best rifle you can then save up for optics gear etc. if you hit the top end. a damn good rifle and iron sights will go a long way while your looking at optics

if you already have the gun and that is the extras budget. then you can go all the way to acog land or aimpoint or eotech or nightforce or nikon or vortex and lots of others.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
I like micro red dots, either from PA or Aimpoint. EoTech makes a nice micro as well (XPS series). As far as other accessories learning what you need is better than putting a bunch of stuff on an AR to find out it doesn't work for you. Shoot the AR a lot then add rails, grips, etc. as you NEED them or determine they compliments your skill level.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I like micro red dots, either from PA or Aimpoint.
While I completely understand what you mean, that's like saying you're trying to decide whether you want to eat cup ramen noodles for dinner of filet mignon. There's a slight price difference between the two.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
While I completely understand what you mean, that's like saying you're trying to decide whether you want to eat cup ramen noodles for dinner of filet mignon. There's a slight price difference between the two.
Exactly. I was introducing him to the high and middle road of RDS.

I didn't mention magazines. In my eyes PMags are gtg.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Total Budget - the MP 15 is $699 at Cabelas so we are looking at another $700 for accessories

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
Total Budget - the MP 15 is $699 at Cabelas so we are looking at another $700 for accessories
Purchase a H1 w/ ADM QD mount and call it good. The other stuff you can add as you figure out what works best for you. If not you'll end up w/ a big box of parts you don't use. Ask me how I know :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks MikeJK - I appreciate the recommend - but I am not even sure I like a red dot type scope and I have never used one and that is a big chunk of change to shell out for a scope I may or may not like?

I have used the standard crosshair type scope and like that set up - any recommends there for like a 2X scope?

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
I just have one question.
Why would you want any magnification for home defense?
I would recommend the eotech. It's good all around and used by the cops. It's fine for close quarters and out to 100 yds is acceptable.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
KHickam said:
Thanks MikeJK - I appreciate the recommend - but I am not even sure I like a red dot type scope and I have never used one and that is a big chunk of change to shell out for a scope I may or may not like?

I have used the standard crosshair type scope and like that set up - any recommends there for like a 2X scope?
Like mm13 eluded to a magnified optic isn't ideal for shooting w/i your normal defensive distances.

Though not an Aimpoint the Primary Arms micro RDS is nice and under $200 w/ mount.

The Aimpoint is very popular for a reason. It works very well. Battery life alone is reason enough to like it. 5 years of constant on at the medium setting.

mountainman13 said:
I would recommend the eotech. It's good all around and used by the cops. It's fine for close quarters and out to 100 yds is acceptable.
Don't look at what LEOs use as a measuring stick. They rarely use them and they are usually purchased by suits.

·
Registered
878 Posts
mountainman13 said:
+1000 EOTech makes some superb optics, i love my 552

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks guys - $500 for a non magnifying scope - never used a holographic or red dot or such - but perhaps just sticking with the standard military post and peep will be easiest for me.

·
Registered
878 Posts
KHickam said:
Thanks guys - $500 for a non magnifying scope - never used a holographic or red dot or such - but perhaps just sticking with the standard military post and peep will be easiest for me.
Well you gotta do what's best for you, but if you decide to step up to a holographic i can promise you won't regret it. If you look around you can find them used for a lower price, got mine for $200 and aside from some wear on the outer housing it's in perfect shape.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I'd recommend that you start with something like the Primary Arms RDS.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm

Or the Bushnell.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Bushnell_s/584.htm

About $100.00 is what you spend. I never used an RDS before I built my AR. Truthfully? From a home defense purpose, you'd be hard pressed to match it with iron sights.
They don't take a lot of time to adjust to, either.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
KHickam said:
It's not better/easier. The dot sites are much faster on target which translates to dead bad guy not dead good guy. Once again why skimp on a defensive weapon when quality is well w/i your budget. I will never understand it I guess.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Dots and scopes do the same thing. They help you aim.

But they differ immensely on how you use them.

Scopes are great for precision work.

Red dots are for speed. Not precision. Once you take a class or run some drills you will appreciate red dots. They are so fast its like cheating.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
First round on target wins.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts