Mower Recommendation

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Olympus, May 7, 2012.

1. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Anyone have any recommendations for a good mower? We officially left the city and bought a place on 6 acres. I have 3 acres of yard, minus house and driveway and 3 acres of woods. We are going to limp along with a loaner this year and save up for a nice zero-turn over the winter to buy next year. I just want to get an idea as to which brands are better than others. The mower has to be a ZTR, no tractor-types, and needs a minimum of 54" cut, preferably 60". I've heard and read a lot of good things about Bad Boy mowers being the "best bang for your buck", but I don't know anyone that actually owns one. Budget would be about $6k. Any suggestions or ecommendations?

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Not sure of current prices, but xmark makes a very good mower, Dixion is good, John deere or cub cadet are fine too. I have used the xmark and Dixion heavily, both in 60" cuts. Great mowers just required regular matinence with lots of hours (400+acre horse farms.) I prefer the Xmark mower, great power and great motor. Have even heard toro being on the "economy" end is a good mower. Have seen commercial companies using them, I just can't attest to the durability/quality. Also Dixie Chopper is a big name in the ZTR world. Good luck and congrats on the new place.

Forgive any run ons, or spelling this is from my phone.

3. readygirl

readygirl New Member

We have a JOHN DEERE 955 with a 72 inch belly mower on it, it leaves a nice looking cut, and covers a lot of ground in a hurry, then we just use a cheapo murray rider up close to the house and barns. Your ground needs to be very smooth for a zero turn mower to survive. We had a SCAGG 60 inch , after 2 seasons it was totally destroyed, and our ground isnt all that rough.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Electric fence and ponies (Shetland and the 8 pack from Miller).

5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I thank y'all are forgetting the best of the best Husqvarna. Heck your grand kids won't half to buy another mower.

Attached Files:

6. kycol

kycol New Member

I like my Cub. Cub was king then they slipped I think, but now they are back to making some of the best. But the husk are good too.

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I've never been a big fan of Briggs engines. Whatever I get needs to have a Kohler or a higher quality Kawasaki with the cannisted air cleaner. My yard will be just fine for a ZTR. The family we bought the house from had a Toro ZTR.

8. readygirl

readygirl New Member

If you are going to go the ZTR route, i would spend the xtra up front, and get a commercial grade mower. FERRIS, with a PERKINS diesel engine is probably as good as it gets. but the XMARK is also very good. The "homeowner specials" like they sell at lowes,home depot,sears, etc will give you steering (hydraulic), suspension, deck, bearing problems. in just a few years. I worked at an implement dealer for a while before i went to college, learned a lot in the short time i was there.

9. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Holy cow! You look like that, shoot guns, and know your way around implements? You can't tell me nobody has proposed to you through this forum yet. :)

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Definitely not considering anything from a big box store. Top contenders so far are the Grasshopper 223 w/61" deck and Kohler motor, Bad Boy CZT w/60" deck ad either Kawasaki or Kohler, and either the Ferris 1500z or 2000z. I need to get to a dealer to check them out. I looked at several shops over lunch today. SCAG was too rough riding and seemed to be more commercial oriented. TORO was just okay. Nothing super great, but nothing terrible either. Hustlers were a let-down. Very low to the ground and uncomfortable to sit on. Their top end models were over $8500 and I'd rather have the Grasshopper. I don't have a Dixie Chopper dealer within a realistic driving distance if I needed service that I couldn't do myself. I will try to run by a Ferris dealer tomorrow. Curious to see what the price point is on the 1500 and 2000. I like that they have pump and wheel motors like the bigger SCAGS and Grasshoppers.

11. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Thank you primer, i spend a lot of time with my dad, two older brothers, and my 2 boys. So i dont get to be a "girlie-girl" very often, glad you think i clean up ok, LOL.....

12. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Kubota makes a hellavu ZTR.

13. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I just can't ever see myself buying something without an American made engine but that's just me.

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

They make a hellavu tractor too. I have a feeling they are going to be quite a bit outside my budget though. Love to have a little diesel Kubota ZTR though. :cool:

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

After all the problems I've seen with Briggs engines, there's no way I'm spending $7K to $8K on a machine that has one. I don't care where the motor is made, I just want one that works and my experience with Briggs is either you have problems right out the gate or they work good for about 3 years and then they start going to craps. Just not a gamble I'm willing to take for that kind of money. Wouldn't be a deal-breaker if I was buying a push mower.

16. kytowboater

I have not used a kawasaki engine before, but I love the koehler engines. Very dependable.

17. Olympus

Olympus New Member

That would be my first choice. Kawasaki would be my second. Both are excellent motors.

18. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I'm not paying 7k to 8k at all they aren't but 4.5k to 5.5k. But I've never had a problem with them but that's just my experience. My uncle use to race mowers and all they would use was briggs. Yes im from alabama lol. I'm shur they have there problems just like everything elts in the world.

19. kytowboater

The older Briggs seem fine, ours has been going for 28 years.

20. RJMercer

RJMercer New Member

Kubota and Hustler make some good ZTR mowers with baby 3 cylinder diesels in em.
    A lot of equipment rental outlets have ZTR mowers you can rent. I'd do that a few times and make sure you can stay in the seat whilst mowing at 12mph on your land.