Moving to the country

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by buckhuntr, May 14, 2011.

1. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

My wife and I have made it our goal to move to the country ASAP. We finally sold the Tulsa home after 18 months of trying, and we're 2 months into a 6-month lease on the apartment we moved into. We had a plan in place to build a pole barn/garage on our 15 acres of oak woods to live in until we can get the log home built, but during the past few days, that plan is being turned on it's head. :?

We saw a real estate listing for 20 acres - with a 25-yo manufactured home (glorified double-wide, but made better, and in good shape still) - that's for sale about a mile from our current acreage. We called the Realtor, and this morning visited the property for a look. A long, winding gravel drive led to the house, with guinea hens and chickens roaming through the trees, and I was instantly reminded of my rural roots. :D There's a nice pond, with mallards and domestic geese swimming (they go with the property, as do the other poultry, I think), the well produces great-tasting water, and there's electrified, fenced garden spots, several fruit trees, and several outbuildings. And there is the all-important tornado shelter.

I do believe an offer will be made soon. We could be gardening by July, possibly. 8) Wish us luck, as buying into an instant farmstead these days for less than $100 Grand is almost too good to pass up. We still want the log home, and this could be a good property on which to build it.

2. freefall

freefall New Member

Sounds great, good luck!

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Excellent news, buck. Keep up informed and abreast of the situation. :)

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

buckhuntr,

Man that sounds great! Nothing like the good old country and boonies!
    I was thinking if the other place is that close you might want to keep it and raise livestock like cattle on it, farm it or lease it to keep both?
    Man I am happy for you and your wife! We live in the boonies in Tennessee back a 1/2 mile lane in the woods and I would not want to go back to the metro area for anything. We just have to live a little different. Like the grocery and shopping list on the refrigerator. So when we go to town we try to get everything we need on the list. No more running down to the corner and picking up food, groceries, going to the hardware store. And oh yes did I mention the nectar of the Gods, Gentleman Jack!!!! LOL
    Congrats!!!!!!

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Best wishes buck, I'll say a prayer.

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

What's the story? :confused: If you don't mind.

Either way I wish you and Mrs buckhunter best of luck :)

7. buckhuntr

Oh, it's just that the number of tasks necessary to turn raw land into a livable structure in a few short months and costs of it all were causing lots of second-guessing and anxiety. Buying this other place would allow us more time to do things correctly and cost-effectively, as well as getting some gardening underway faster. It's hard to plant a garden in an oak forest.

8. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great deal. hope it works out for ya.

9. fireguy

fireguy New Member

That sounds like a nice place. I agree that starting from scratch can be a headache. The plus side is that you can make it what you want it to be from the start. Good luck and keep us posted.

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Definitely not easy to make raw land livable. Check around and see if you can line up a local forester to do the clearing for you - he clears the tees and stumps and gets the material, you get cleared land.

11. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Good for you! I hope all the best. It sounds like Heaven. I didn't read anything about kids..........maybe now? Sounds like a place to grow up. :)

12. buckhuntr

Um, all kids are grown and on their own (and think we're nuts to want to leave the nice, convenient City for the perils of Nature), no grandkids in sight, and as the Mrs and I are both fixed...