Firearms Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. My family is moving to South Dakota and plans on doing hunting. In Oregon we have a 15 year rule if you only have 1 felony your rights are restored in the state. I heard similar is true in South Dakota. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In Oregon you cant have a class a felony expunged.

South Dakota Law Reads "22-14-15. Possession of firearm by one with prior violent crime conviction or certain drug-related conviction -- Felony -- Fifteenyear period No person who has been convicted in this state or elsewhere of a crime of violence or a felony pursuant to 搂 搂 22-42-2, 22-42-3, 22- 42-4, 22-42-7, 22-42-8, 22-42-9, 22-42-10 or 22- 42-19, may possess or have control of a firearm. A violation of this section is a Class 6 felony. This section does not apply to any person who was last discharged from prison, jail, probation, or parole more than fifteen years prior to the commission of the principal offense."

This is the law I'm trying to clarify. You cant buy guns at a gun store, but you can buy them private party is what I'm being told, since they cannot charge you if you meet the above criteria, but i am trying to make 1000 percent sure I wont be arrested or charged for carrying a gun there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My loser brother was able to get a lot worse than that expunged from his record,but of course it takes a lot of money
Oregon are dicks about felonies. it cant be downgraded or expunged if its a class A felony, which stealing a playstation qualified me as a class A felon, the same as a murderer which is bs but its my life... Ive paid my dues and live a good life now, just want to have freedom back

Premium Member
In Oregon you cant have a class a felony expunged.

South Dakota Law Reads "22-14-15. Possession of firearm by one with prior violent crime conviction or certain drug-related conviction -- Felony -- Fifteenyear period No person who has been convicted in this state or elsewhere of a crime of violence or a felony pursuant to 搂 搂 22-42-2, 22-42-3, 22- 42-4, 22-42-7, 22-42-8, 22-42-9, 22-42-10 or 22- 42-19, may possess or have control of a firearm. A violation of this section is a Class 6 felony. This section does not apply to any person who was last discharged from prison, jail, probation, or parole more than fifteen years prior to the commission of the principal offense."

This is the law I'm trying to clarify. You cant buy guns at a gun store, but you can buy them private party is what I'm being told, since they cannot charge you if you meet the above criteria, but i am trying to make 1000 percent sure I wont be arrested or charged for carrying a gun there.
You still can be charged federally, but that鈥檚 not likely to happen.

Premium Member
Oregon are dicks about felonies. it cant be downgraded or expunged if its a class A felony, which stealing a playstation qualified me as a class A felon, the same as a murderer which is bs but its my life... Ive paid my dues and live a good life now, just want to have freedom back
I agree that鈥檚 it鈥檚 BS. Once you're out of jail and the crime was not of a violent or sexual nature, you should get your gun rights back. Now, if this was an armed robbery or you hit somebody in the course of this, or you broke into a building, no gun rights. But if you just stole a PlayStation from a Walmart, and haven鈥檛 done anything since leaving jail, you should get your gun rights back.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that鈥檚 it鈥檚 BS. Once you're out of jail and the crime was not of a violent or sexual nature, you should get your gun rights back. Now, if this was an armed robbery or you hit somebody in the course of this, or you broke into a building, no gun rights. But if you just stole a PlayStation from a Walmart, and haven鈥檛 done anything since leaving jail, you should get your gun rights back.
It was from a house of someone I knew. I agree it was a very bad decision but I fully believe I paid for the crime and did the time and think I should be allowed a second chance.

Banned
It was from a house of someone I knew. I agree it was a very bad decision but I fully believe I paid for the crime and did the time and think I should be allowed a second chance.
I say again, attorney, hire one.

Legal advice is worth what you pay for it.

Premium Member
His was burning a car(arson) Illinois and he got all his foid ect back.I don鈥檛 know all the details but do know if I had a vote he would have a permanent ankle monitor.

Banned
His was burning a car(arson) Illinois and he got all his foid ect back.I don鈥檛 know all the details but do know if I had a vote he would have a permanent ankle monitor.
Nobody knows you better than your family, at least most of the time.

Reactions: PGM
1 - 14 of 14 Posts