Moving to Georgia

Discussion in 'Georgia Gun Forum' started by Tillman7777, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Tillman7777

Tillman7777 New Member

I am moving to Georgia from Florida...... Will probably be a resident for one year. Its to bad I have to get new tags, DL, and emissions test and etc. But I hate I will have to give up my Florida carry permit. How long does it take to get your permit in Gwinnett county. I hate that I am going to have to be unarmed for a period of time since carry is a part of my life style.... I wish you old permit provide a carry over period until your new permit arrived when you move.....:eek:

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Florida and Georgia have reciprocity. Your Florida permit should be good for carry there as long as it is not expired. I carried in Florida with my GA permit. If it's going to only be for a year I wouldn't bother. The only thing the GA permit may do for you is make purchases easier.

Getting a permit is as easy as going to the courthouse, filling out the forms, bringing your residency documentation, and paying your fee. They switched to an electronic process a couple years back, so they take your picture and fingerprints on the computer. I got my last permit in the mail in less than a month.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Plus you must have lived in GA for three consecutive months, proven by three months of a utility bill, etc.

I just downloaded the application forms this morning. :cool:

4. etbob9

etbob9 Member

You are eligible for a Georgia Weapons Carry License (GWCL) from your
    county of residency once you establish residency (get DL etc.). Once you
    establish residency, your Fl. license will no longer be valid in Ga., but it
    will still be valid in some of the states that do not recognize Ga. license,
    (like South Carolina AFAIK).

Gwinnett County is one of the less friendly counties, IMO, when it comes to
    getting your GWCL, but they are required to abide by Georgia Statutes
    just like all other counties.

See link for GWCL requirements below:

http://www.gacarry.org/cms/ga-code-detail/?title=16&chapter=11&section=129

www.handgunlaw.us might have some helpful info also.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Georgia. By the way, if you are active duty
    Military, you are exempt from the license requirement. GeorgiaPacking.org
    also has a great forum that discusses current info for all types of questions, including current county performance ratings.

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  5. Tillman7777

Tillman7777 New Member

I think I lucked out. I went to the Gwinnett court house at 9:00 in the morning with my paper work pre filled out. In and out in 30 minutes. Drove 10 minutes to Police dept for finger printing. In and out in 20 minutes. Ga permit was in my mail box 30 days later. Fla permit is in the safe until I move back in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. etbob9

etbob9 Member

That's great news Tillman. I think GeorgiaCarry.org (GCO) may have
    been talking to them lately. I hope you have been keeping up with
    our new House Bill, HB60, waiting in Governor Deal's office for his
    signature (hopefully). :eek:

I hope you're enjoying Georgia! :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  7. Tillman7777

Tillman7777 New Member

Have been keeping up with the Bill. Other than the two Snow Storms Ga has been great!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk