moving to daytona for a while

Discussion in 'Florida Gun Forum' started by Buckethead47, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

im going to go to school there and would like to know what to expect. anything bad?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

take lots of sunblock and your best sunglasses!:D

3. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 New Member

My sister lives there and loves it

4. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

there is 4 schools in the country for what i am going to do and daytona has one of 4 so i was like F it i will go there. i hear its fun but is there slummy parts places/people to look out for violence ect?

5. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 New Member

Ive heard her talk about some slums and a lot of sexton offenders in her old neighborhood but that is anywhere you go

6. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

yeah as long as there isnt any "make sure you stay away from this place" kind of thing. being bike capital of the country the 1% gangs are what im worried about.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Remember, in Florida, only the tourists get sun-burned or tan.

8. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 New Member

she has never said anything about biker gangs

9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

... and motorcycle and swim fins! :D

10. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Stay away from my cousin...lol

11. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

i am thinking about buying my first bike down there and bringing it back after school.

from what i hear the only time i see them is if i am around for bike week. other than that they stay at their club houses.

12. Longrange

Longrange New Member

There are 2, 1% mcc'S in valusia county. I rode with them on occassion when I was on the east coast. You will never see them, even during bike week. They are hard core but the feds ensure they keep a low profile nowadays.

Daytona is really laid back except for spring break. Tons of hot chics and lots of old folks.

Do yourself a favor, stay away from the clubhouses if you get a bike. You will love the area, great place to ride.

13. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I've been to Daytona numerous times and have family in Deland (20mins West of Daytona) and I've only seen a few patches, no different then seeing some in Vegas, Sturgis, etc.

14. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

ok and if financial aid gos my way i will be down there either Sept. 24th or Jan. 2nd

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

After you get settled in, PM me for a Meet and Shoot. DB is 4 hrs north of me. With all that area, I'm sure we can find somewhere to meet and throw some lead.

cane

16. utf59

utf59 New Member

And CC me; it's 90 minutes south of me.

17. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I will not be able to bring any of my firearms with me unfortunately. but I would be down to chip in for ammo if some guys dont mind sharing firearms.

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Oh, but some of our guys are willing to charge firearm storage fees should you want. :)

19. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't worry about 1%ers, most of the Harley owners are rich old Republicans! Some areas to avoid, but most of the city is okay. Got a hard rock police chief from the Philly area and he is running the city tight. You will find out pretty quick what areas to stay out of.

Good luck.

20. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Inside of about an hour you will learn all you need to know about Daytona. The rundown neighborhoods are pretty obvious. One thing, don't stop a girl on Ridgewood (US1) to ask for directions. She may be a hospitality worker, but she's probably not employed by a hotel or restaurant.

Watch out for the drug culture. It's worse than some places, but better than others, and you do not want to attract the attention of the local LEO's. They never give up.

All in all it's a good town, kind of a fun place, but there is an opportunity to get caught up in things you don't want to get caught up in. My advice if you can afford it is to live outside of the actual city limits.

As far as the bikers go I wouldn't sweat it. They're not anywhere near as bad as you have heard. For the most part they adopt a live and let live attitude. When I was down there I did stay out of biker bars, but not because of any specific threat. They just like to party a little too hard for my taste.

Don't be afraid to enjoy Bike Week or Biketoberfest. They are a lot of fun. Just remember to watch out for the bikers while driving. For what it's worth Spring Break and BCR have a lot more criminal activity than Bike Week.