Moving to CA! Reloading

Discussion in 'California Gun Forum' started by travis229, Dec 28, 2018.

1. travis229

travis229 New Member

Hello! I am active duty military and I am getting stationed in CA in 3 months. I am bringing my reloading equipment but I cannot find if there are any law/rules on bringing powder and primers into California from another state. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Dallas53 likes this.
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Travis- have not been in CA in 6 years- but here is a Q&A from an ammo vendor-
    https://www.laxammooc.com/california-ammo-laws-for-2019/

The Jul 2019 effective laws do not appear to have an impact on reloading components.
    As active duty military, you will need to establish residence to be able to buy ammo there.

If I were you, I would contact some of the gun shops in the area you are headed for- and good luck to you.

[​IMG]

youngridge, Dallas53 and locutus like this.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

My condolences, sir!

Dallas53 likes this.
  4. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

sad to say, I have family in California, and I refuse to set foot in that state. the last time I was there was a little over ten years ago for my mother's funeral.

5. travis229

travis229 New Member

If it was my choice I never would except for vacation! But I gotta make the best of the cards felt to me haha. I will probably start a small collection of nice revolvers from now on

locutus and Dallas53 like this.
  6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

CA Compliant AR circa 2021...………. :p

Dallas53 and travis229 like this.
  7. travis229

travis229 New Member

C3shooter she's a beaut!

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Contact CalGuns organization?

9. travis229

travis229 New Member

I called and requested info and they put me on a waiting list to get called back, its been 2 days so Ill give them next week before I go calling back! Going to try some gun shops over in that area aswell but I know its not there job to answer these kind of questions, but they will probably know first hand!

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It is a PITA but semi auto pistols and rifles are permitted there with magazine restrictions. I was just there for family and I legally took my Glock 26 and my wife's Shield. Also had a Ruger 10-22 and my Mossberg MVP bolt with 10 round mags. AR's are a dirty word but the Mini 14 & 30 are OK with 10 round mags. No evil pistol grips on rifles so avoid them. Oddly they do know the difference between a flash hider and a muzzle brake. My SIL reloads and he is stocking up before the ammo background checks kick in. It looks like the oldest grand son will be moving to Missouri which is a free state.

travis229 likes this.
  11. travis229

travis229 New Member

It sounds like a pain! But I will learn to deal with most of the restrictions, and leave my high capacity handguns and rifles with my father in Minnesota. Sounds like all the handguns I am interest in will still be legal as long as they are under 10 round mag and no threaded barrel. Thanks for the info JTJ!