Moving to Brazil

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by MB44, Mar 16, 2010.

1. MB44

MB44 New Member

So with the earthquakes in Chile we have decided to move to Brazil, which was already in our plans but the latest seismic events fast tracked the proccess…. I am looking for a job there, and with a bit of luck we can move back to the home town of my wife, Natal (North-East Brazil), otherwise it’ll be Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo.

So I trawled the internet for information about gun laws in Brazil, and they are pretty strict about it. It basically comes down to .38SPL/.380/ .22LR. There are special rules for sport shooters who can shot .40/.357/.44/.38Super/.45ACP, but no 9mm which is used exclusively by the armed forces. Also taking my guns with me from Chile to Brazil seems to be somewhat of a hassle…. Export permit, import permit, yada-yada-yada…and I would NOT be able to take my GLOCK nor one of my SIG`s with me, because they are illegal for personal use (as they are both 9mm). Concealed carry seems like totally out of the question, so gun wise it looks like a bad deal, as it seems I would have to sell everything, and settle for a crappy Taurus .38SPL. Funny enough, the bad guys got just about everything they need, including
    suface to air missiles (I do not know if you remember some 3-4 months ago some druglord in one of the favelas (shanty towns) of Rio de Janeiro,shot down a helicopter, with one

….,on the other hand I get this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/92/Morro_do_Careca_Natal_Brasil.jpg
    (We own a small property just behind, and to the right of the sand slope)

and THIS :

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ThOsznUH0vA/SDxavZSx8oI/AAAAAAAAEII/CwEEfXpelwg/s400/bunda%2Bbrasil.jpg
    (Noooooo,... it ain’t my wifes)

But my questions is: Is there is anybody on this forum who knows about gun laws in Brazil ?

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Wow, MB44, that is a drastic move. Better than Venezuela, tho. Brazil has some real hotties. Keep us updated and stay safe, amigio.

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Yes, please keep us posted. May God bless you and your family.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

PM Asmel (AsmelEduardo), he lives in Venezuela and is gun savvy.

Good luck!

5. MB44

MB44 New Member

Yeah, I think I'll do that. There is also an Argentinian getleman, I can't remember his name,.. but I'll track him down too and ask him the same question...

Thanks guys,... will keep you posted.

[​IMG]

6. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Fransisco is the Argentinean you're looking for, not sure of his exact S/N, but he hangs out in the knife forum quite a bit.

Bummer about the gun laws, but I like my .22 better than my 9mm anyway. At the range, of course - they're really screwing you for SD.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Unfortunately, life is full of compromises. It sounds like this is a major one. However, the .38 Special has put a lot of bad guys in the ground over the years. Things could be worse.