moving to Alaska

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by BRAD313, Aug 15, 2012.

1. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Probly moving was thinkking of Alaska its were my gf wants to go so I was wondering how the economy is there. I herd a lot of good and bad things like the cost of living is crazy is this true give me feed back about the good n bad things so can research further housing price would be nice by the cities u live in

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

From what I've heard things are expensive up there. Imagine the cost of flying in toilet paper. I'd love to hear from a resident myself.

3. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Go !! Are you a young man ? Do you have a particular skill set ?

4. downsouth

downsouth New Member

After 3 weeks up there in June the short answer is yes, things are more expensive up there. Even more so when you get away from Anchorage and the grocery barges from Seattle. Gas is a dollar more a gallon. If you smoke, quit. A carton of marboro light is 90.00+dollars. There is no state sales tax although some communities impose a few cents.

The economy seems healthy up there. If they ever let oil developing go again, watch out. After 6 months of residency you become entitled to the oil revenue sharing, usually around 1200.00 a year.

5. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

I have a friend that lives in Juneau and another in Anchorage....a gallon of milk ranges from $5-$10 depending on where you live in the state...They DO pay residents money annually once you've lived there for a certain amount of time.

School teachers are paid really well....BUT...alot of crime up there. Drugs and alcohol run rampant among native tribes and "whites." plenty of hispanic immigrants. Homicide and Suicide rates are high. Can you imagine gas prices??

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You sure you want to bring your girlfriend?

Attached Files:

7. clem_

clem_ New Member

A gallon of milk 5.00 - 7.00 and meat a arm and a leg.

8. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Lol no I'm not sure now lol

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol. Yeah that girl makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong too.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cost of living in AK can be VERY high. Think you said you are in Michigan- compared to, say, Flint, Anchorage is about 70% HIGHER cost of living. IMHO, Alaska has 3 cities- Anchorage, Juneau, and Fairbanks- other places are more towns than cities.

Here is a website that will let you put two cities in and compare cost of living-

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/

Note that cost of housing in Anchorage is about 340% higher than Flint....

11. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Thnx n yes I live in mi

12. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Any body know what the pay scale is

13. downsouth

downsouth New Member

That would depend on your job abilities, would it not.

14. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Let's restaurant manger or labor jobs in a factory and medical billing

15. clem_

clem_ New Member

It a hunters dream! but living there is tough.

16. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Did some research and fond out low income would not work out so well up with min.wage at 7.75 I ain't going to work a hour for a gal.of milk Lmao so going to look at Dif states

17. powg

powg New Member

best state to live in

Not to predjudicial but Texas is the best bet in the whole scope of this ...economy . lower unemployment than average , driving (hours) from any landscape ....mountains ,plains ,forest, desert ,ocean . Big cities to small communities , average food cost ,fuel ,great tech schools , the people are generally great . If you want to be left alone or live under the radar try Shelby ,Anderson counties in east texas:cool:

18. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

That's what I am looking in to now Texas n Colorado

19. RonPaul2012

RonPaul2012 New Member