Movie guns that made you fall in love...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Wambli, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I wanted to start a thread about movie guns that got you on a quest of owning them or at least getting close. Even though this is the handgun forum we can have it open to any gun. My first entry is my recreation of the big bore revolver in Raiders of the Lost Arc. The original is up for sale on Gunbroker as we speak and the listing includes the history of the gun and detailed pictures. Both mine and the movie gun where born in 1918. Twins separated at birth.
    Mine:
    CAF16265-9688-4C7B-A48F-EAF3AFC97317.jpeg

Original selling on Gunbroker for a cool $5,000,000
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Lonewolf Mcquade and towboater like this.
  2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Do they have a certificate of authenticity?

3. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

For the original? Yep, full provenance.

towboater likes this.
  4. winds-of-change

5. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

for me it was THE BAND OF BROTHERS, because I sold off a POS IVER JONHNSON carbine that I had for 600 bucks :D

winds-of-change likes this.
  6. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Outlaw Josie Wales, I currently have an 1847 Walker, 1851 Colt Navy, and 1860 Colt Army. All of which he carried. As a side note I can do the spin shown in the trading post scene with my right hand with the Navy. It weighs about half of what the Walker he did it with does.

SRK97, bluez and towboater like this.
  7. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

8. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

OPENING bid is $5,000,000. I’m quite happy with my copy. It was substantially less and mine actually goes bang.

Caveman Jim and towboater like this.
  9. echo1

echo1 Active Member

Easy, Thompson of any flavor. PAX

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Both of these movies were out before I bought my first handgun.
    [​IMG]

11. SSGN_Doc

Had played around with the Walther P99AS that a friend had, and liked it. Thought about adding one to the collection if a bargain was found.

The Daniel Craig movies in the James Bond Franchise just kind of bumped up the “cool factor” when I finally did find a deal on one.

Alas, they moved Bond back to the PPK in .380, as they now reverse course and plan to emasculate the Bond franchise in the future.

[​IMG]

Wambli likes this.
  12. winds-of-change

I had the opportunity to shoot a Thompson once. Courtesy of a member here in FTF who has been looooong gone. I was a needy, he lived about an hour north of me and wanted me to come shoot all he had from .22 to a .45. He worked at a range and be hire we shot, we sat in a classroom and talked safety. Then we went into the range. He first had me watch him shoot to get an idea of the recoil. Then Er shoot a few rounds of each. At the end, he said it looks like I understand safety and I wasn’t reckless or unaware and he brought out this Tommy gun. I was SO EXCITED! he let me shoot as much as I wanted which couldn’t have been cheap. After my first multi-round burst I realized the gun would rise and I’d loose control. Just as I realized it, he was stepping in to stop me. From then it was “three round bursts”. :oops:
    I saw it as a chance of a lifetime.
    I have a picture of me with that Thompson. I just wished it had a drum magazine. After all, I grew up really close to Chicago. This weren’t really violins in those violin cases.

Caveman Jim, primer1 and bluez like this.
  13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I wanted a "Megatron" P38 (or the gun from U.N.C.L.E for you old folks) but I was told you cant make a carbine out of a P38, So I gave up - I even found a nickle plated P38, I shoulda bought it anyways.... :(

[​IMG]

big shrek and towboater like this.
  14. aarondhgraham

aarondhgraham Well-Known Member

I fell in love with the Beretta Cheetah series,,,
    After watching Charles Bronson in Death Wish 2.

500px-DWB.JPG

He used a Model 84,,,
    I chose a Model 85 for the thinner grip.

Aarond

Caveman Jim likes this.
  15. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

well, I got you beat then, got a T.H.R.U.S.H rifle for my 9th birthday :D
    [​IMG]

wish I still had it, it's a collector's item now

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    big shrek and towboater like this.
  16. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

For a start 2 mg's...................................the MG42 and the Browning .50 just the last word in battlefield control for fire power superiority at that time in history.
    As for movie guns the .44 mag in Dirty Harry and the .50 Desert Eagle in Jason Statham's movie "Snatch".
    I could also add the array of guns used in Keanu Reeve's series of John Wick.

Caveman Jim and towboater like this.
  17. echo1

echo1 Active Member

As a kid growing up in the '50s & '60s any WWII stuff was good. I had 2 Godfathers that were merchant seamen, and brought me back all kind of cool toy guns. I think I had about 4 Thompsons, a .30 cal water cooled, twin .50 cal, quad 40mm in a gondola with a cabled remote control, a couple mortars, mess of cowboy stuff too. I think many of those toys are worth bank these days. PAX

towboater likes this.
  18. ramjet

ramjet Member

Die hard’s M9 beretta. Iconic. Along with lethal weapon as well.

Bruce Willis is also noted for carrying a bad *** 1911 in movies as well.
    Man’s man and all.....

19. SSGN_Doc

And the Die Hard franchise had Maclane update to a Px4 for a bit.

[​IMG]

towboater and ramjet like this.
  20. Donn

Donn Well-Known Member

Not so much love as obsession, S&W Model 29. Like a lot of guys back in the 70's, had to have it. Finally got one in '78. Damn you Harry Callahan.

Caveman Jim likes this.